1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor config failed on install

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Lexsar, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

Upon installing SuSE 7.1 pro on AMD 1.33Ghz system, won't recognize monitor. In setup, choose monitor (Acerview 76i) from their list but when I went to test section, it locked everything up. Attempted this in 2 subsequent re-installs. Finally installed with just a text interface but now can't get to gui because monitor seems not to be recognized.

Attempted to launch yast to reconfigure monitor settings but failed to load because monitor settings are wrong. Any ideas?

2. alaric_1224

alaric_1224

I've tried installing SuSE Linux on various computers and had similar problems. When I installed the Mandrake version things seemed to work well, however.

3. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

Tried re-install with several different configurations for monitor and onboard video but no luck. Output log has the following error message at the end for monitor & video card:

"SiS: NO matching device for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0) found"

and

"No device detected"

Tried to manually configure too but so far no luck.

Any thoughts?

4. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

OK, got it resolved. After researching some posts on SuSE website I found the following:

Symptom: After the X configuration has been successfully finished, the computer dosn´t respond. Video card (on board in this case) not recognized. The driver dosn´t work with the kernel framebuffer device.

Steps to work-a-round:
    Restart and enter at the prompt as follows:

linux vga=normal

this deactivates the framebuffer mode and the installations starts with 16 instead of 256 colors.
    The next time you start your SuSE Linux system enter at the prompt:

linux 3

Then please log in as root and edit the file /etc/lilo.conf, delete the line vga = xxx. Save the modified file, execute the command lilo and restart the system with the command shutdown -r now.

You can close this thread now, thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!