1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor diagnostics ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vivienne, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi

Is there a way to check the health of one's monitor?

When I boot up, the Windows logon screen is very wavy. It is only then that it is wavy. The picture stabilizes immediately after and stays stable. I am using an IBM monitor that is about eight years old. I am thinking that because of its age, this may be a concern.

I would appreciate your opinion.

Thank you.

Vivienne

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

It could be your running at X resolution (like 800x600 or 1024x768 or whatever) and the startup screen is 640x480 so if your monitor is having problems with that specific resolution you owuld see this type of symptom. An easy way to test this is in your display properties slide the bar down to 640x480 apply this and see if the same symptom shows up. Then you wait the 15 seconds and it will revert back to your old resolution. Either that or load up windows and go into F8 safe mode this hsould also take you to 640x480 resolution and should stay wavy there as well.

Thats just one thought off the top of my head as a potential issue it can be.

I had 1 monitor that would not load 2 resolutions that it hsould have and it lasted me 2 years and was a great monitor.

3. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi ST

Funny that I don't have that resolution.

It doesn't *stay* wavy. It is just that logon screen. By the time I'm actually into Windows everything is okay. It is not a bother - it was just a concern that the monitor might be going.

What I did do, which I think shows that you are correct in your assessment, is to change the resolution and boot up. I didn't get the wavy screen. Funnily enough, I changed it back and still didn't get the wavy screen. Strange, isn't it? I *always* got that wave before - it was not sporadic.

Two years? That it? Nowadays, there are three year warranties on monitors. I guess, even if my monitor goes, I shouldn't complain. It does look as though your idea of changing the resolution worked and I may have the monitor for another eight years. :)

Thanks very much, StumpyTech!

Vivienne

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Hrmmm possibly just something freaky in the resolution setting it knew and changing it and then back fixed it.

2 years from the time it broke LOL

I support a ton of PC's so I have seen just about everything.

5. vivienne

vivienne Thread Starter

Hi ST

Thanks for solving it!

:) Now I got it!

And a ton more here at TSG!! Thanks so much for helping us!!

Vivienne

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice