monitor disabled somehow please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ironheardt

I own 2 Dell 2400 desktops running win xp, one is my daughters the other is mine.
she said she was trying to change her monitor settings it came up to reboot and when she did it made it to the "windows starting" page and then went black. Com is still booting I can hear and see it (the light). Thought maybe monitor went bad so I swapped them, hers on mine still worked fine, mine on hers and it went black also. Is there a way to disable/enable monitor in xp or a setting like "dont use this device" or "use alternate device" and if so how do I fix step by step without being able to see windows. I went to f2 and f12 pages and didnt see anything about enabling monitor jack. so I totally reinstalled xp and it does the same thing. can anyone please help me figure this out...

This is a nasty problem I've seen before, but don't recall if there was a simple fix.

It's the monitor that is apparently disabled already. I don't think VGA or Safe Mode from the f8 boot menu will make any difference since it is not the Display drivers, but the monitor itself.

You might have had some luck if your OTHER monitor was completely different in nature and forced Windows to do a new hardware detection. If you can beg, borrow or steal a different monitor type -- you may have some luck getting into Windows, at which point you can do a System Restore.

ironheardt

I thought about that but I figured if there was a way to disable there should be a way to enable somehow I may have to go that route though. you mean a monitor that connects to a different jack right! Anyone else have suggestions.???

No, but the best bet is that if the current monitor is a CRT, use an LCD, or visa-versa.

However you may have some luck if just the model type is different.

Anyway, it occurs to me that you won't have any System Restore points after the reinstall. But if you get a display at all, you can open the Device Manager and ensure that the monitor for the orginal monitor is not disabled there. You can even just remove it (uninstall) from the device manager -- then reconnect the monitor.

ironheardt

I either need a new monitor or a different monitor that connects to a different port? any idea which port it would be that would be the monitor port if the default monitor port is disabled? if so let me know that also.
thanks for the help so far..

I'm not sure what you mean by different port, unless your Display card has a DVI connection as well as Analog. In which case you could try the same monitor using the DVI (white) cable and connection port. I'm not sure if it will be detected differently though from a hardware standpoint.

The thing here is that the monitor is identified in the Device Manager as a certain type. If you check the working system you will see what is there. If the vendor's driver (information) file was installed -- then the Monitor is identified by model number. Otherwise it may be identified as a "default" monitor.

In either case the objective here is to get Windows to see something other than what is identified there.

ironheardt

ok lets go back a little. I cannot get or see the device manager for this computer(in windows) so i cannot change it. I cannot see anything past the "windows starting" page. I cannot see any desktop, any theme or any form of anything past the "windows starting" page. It is black, so I cannot change anything because I cannot see it. By "different port" I mean other than the default standard port for most stock monitors. If this port has been disabled somehow in winxp how can i re-enable without being able to see windows on this com? I cannot find any kind of device driver or driver listing in the pages f2 and f12 bios that I can see before windows starts, unless there is another page of bios I am missing, if so what key do I hit to find it. such as a driver listing for modems/3.5 floppy/com port 1,,, etc. So if the "default port" for the monitor has been disabled, which port should I try to connect a monitor to so I can see what I am changing, and how do I go about changing the bios to do so? I hope all that makes sense, basically Monitor port disabled, cant see to enable, can I enable in Bios if so how, if not how do I fix?
I really appreciate the help and patience

I understand all of what you are saying. My explanation was meant to clarify the problem for you since you have another similar computer whose Device Manager will show how the device is identified.

It is not the "port" which is disabled. It is a particular hardware device that Windows detects when you boot with it.

The only way around this that I know of (other than what I mention below) is to boot with a different device attached -- a monitor that Windows identifies as a separate device and will want to install a driver file for it when it sees it.

This is connected in the same place as the other.

There is another option here, I think, but it requires restoring an original registry using the Recovery Console (available in the XP CD or you can make a bootable CD).

Once you have the Recovery Console loaded you would have to follow the procedure in this document FULLY (all 3 parts):

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

ETS

If I may make a suggestion, I would go ahead and at least try booting into VGA mode and if successful returning to display settings and change them to match those on your computer.

Absolutely, If it hasn't been tried, it should be. I didn't mean to foreclose it. I just don't expect it to work if it is really the Monitor that is disabled.

ironheardt

ok I am really happy to see we are on the same page as far as what the problem is and I went to your link and copied it off. I will try it you still think necessary after you read this message. I got my daughter to show me on my com where she was when this happened.
Control Panel--- Hardware---Device Mgr.---Monitor---Dell e551a--- On that page there is a box listed like "use this device or enable this device" something like that and she said she unclicked it, without having another device to replace it. Is there an easier fix for the problem since I finally got to the true problem? If not let me know and I will try the repair link. Thanks alot for your help so far, I do appreciate it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online