1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor display question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbigg, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

Easy one for the group: got an old ACER monitor hooked to an E
    Machine pc running win xp.

My screen display doesn't fill the available physcial space. This
    after clicking on the expand option in the upper right IE corner.

I want to think there is some way to expand this on out that I've
    forgotten. The black margin is approx 1/2" around the edges of the
    screen.

I was looking for some centering and sizing controls, on the monitor,
    but don't find any.

So, how do I get the display expanded out to fill available space?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

It may just be as easy as changing the refresh rate. Try 70 0r 72 Hz. Most times the settings defaulted in your new OS will be "Optimal" and that's usually not. If that doesn't work try setting to 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768. Play with it and see. I'm betting refresh rate will help.

3. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

}}} It may just be as easy as changing the refresh rate. Try 70 0r 72 Hz. Most times the settings defaulted in your new OS will be "Optimal" and that's usually not. If that doesn't work try setting to 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768. Play with it and see. I'm betting refresh rate will help. {{{

Thanks for the info. I went into display and changed from 96 to 120 dpi. All that changed was to spread my Desktop icons out .

I don't know how to find and/or change the 800x600/1024x768 thing.

Also, I don't know how to find and/or change my refresh rate.

I should also have told everyone up front that my email screen does go full size. It's only IE that doesn't.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Right click on the desktop, choose properties, click settiings and you should get a slider that will change resolutions. Try a lower one. Also, if that doesn't help click advanced while in settings, click monitor, and try a lower refresh rate.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

Thanks for the info. I went into display and changed from 96 to 120 dpi. This isn't the refresh rate. You should change it back. All that changed was to spread my Desktop icons out .

I don't know how to find and/or change the 800x600/1024x768 thing. Forget this for now.
    Also, I don't know how to find and/or change my refresh rate. Right click on desktop, choose properties, settings, advanced, monitor, change the rate.

I should also have told everyone up front that my email screen does go full size. It's only IE that doesn't. This has nothing to do with the monitor. If all else is full screen then you just have to click once on the center button of the 3 little buttons on the upper right corner of the IE screen. Once you've done that you'll have full screen coverage and if you close it that way the next time you open it it will be full screen.

6. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

FireFox
    Google it, DOWNLOAD IT!!!!
    Google
    mozilla FireFox
    While your at it. DL there email client. Thunderbird

7. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

OK. The refresh rate change did it! Thanks.

8. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

WTF why did i post this here?
    i dont remember replying to this thread

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

Outstanding :D
    vanillag1rl, maybe too much vanilla not enough Chocolate ? :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice