1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Displays new V freq, H freq often

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cdroesch, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cdroesch

cdroesch Thread Starter

1. started computer yesterday
    2. monitor was blank. (it was on) when i went to hit power button, it wouldnt shut off.
    3. shut off computer and unplugged monitor, plugged back in monitor, started computer
    4. everything works, but when i first started it up after this, my displays were all different and needed to be adjusted (size of screen, brightness, contrast, etc)

5. Main problem/annoyance: when i start it up and now when i shut it down, a small display comes up (like the ones when you hit the buttons on the monitor to change contrast, brightness, etc) which says "new mode" and has v hold and h hold, and the numbers keep changing every time it comes up. the numbers are something like the h freq 46.7khz says and the v freq says 75.0Hz, and these numbers change everytime it shows me this. it seems that every time i go into windows (startup) and leave windows (shutdown) just want to know why this is doing this now so often ? why is it telling me this ?

does it mean something is wrong with the monitor ? is this ok if i let it continue ? everything else seems ok. all programs seem like they run fine. it seems like this comes up every time i go into or out of windows, like the screen has to adjust its settings or something, i just dont know why.

another note, it since the day i got it, the monitor has always done this (displays the box "new mode" with h freq and v freq numbers) right at the beginning when i first turn on the computer. but now it does it twice when i start it up and now once when i turn it off. i have a gateway, bought 2/98. talking to a friend who has a gateway, he says the same thing, his does it once in awhile, where that monitor screen comes up, but not as frequently as i am having trouble with now.

gateway support lead me down different paths (twice), once wiht the temp files which is another question i posted before (deleteme.exe) i think they think its a virus, but i am not sure.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!

3. cdroesch

cdroesch Thread Starter

ok, i have done that. no viruses. for some reason i am getting this display, and i am not sure why. does the screen need to adjust its display when it goes in and out of windows ?

again, everything is running fine, it seems (thanks to those who answered my deleteme.exe. message, deleted it without a problem), its just kind of annoying this monitor display screen keeps coming up. i am not sure if it is telling me this, why it is i dont know, there is nothing i can do, its not like i cna control it or change it.

if anyone has suggestions or insight , it would be great. (please read original message) thank-you.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Do you have Ad-Aware?its for spyware & youmdownload it & run it daily
    http://www.lavasoft.de

delete any/everything it finds

I take it you already have updated the display adapter drivers.... as well as the monitor drivers

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Maybe the RAM is going

6. cdroesch

cdroesch Thread Starter

i dont think its the RAM, becasue the computer is so old, i installed new 128 RAM from gateway in september. and this problem just started happening on wednesday.

i was going to look into the drivers, as was piointed out in an earlier reply, but i am not very computer savvy so i dont know really how to do that. i am at work now but have off for the holidays so i was going to check into that tomorrow.

i have the parts list for the computer when i bought it, so i know what i have, i just am not sure, on the gateway site there is different updates for drivers for video cards.

i also heard someone say in regards to updating drivers, if its not broken, dont fix it,...althought i dont know if this display which comes up on the monitor means "its broken"...or just "its annoying".

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A "quick fix" for this might be to restore a registry prior to the problem. Since it's only been a couple of days apparently, you ought to have one available. To restore a previous registry in Win98, go to start>shutdown>restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

select a started registry prior to the problem (or at least on the day of the problem) from one of the 4 available. Any subsequent installs or settings changes will be nullified by this.

If this does not correct the problem, you need to determine whether your monitor is being properly recognized in Display Properties>Settings. You should try setting the refresh rate there to "optimal" if it is not already (advanced>monitor).

8. cdroesch

cdroesch Thread Starter

i am running windows 95. would that still be the same set of commands as you have listed below.

MS-DOS scares me, seriously. after i pick a registry, how do i get back into windows, or does it do this automatically ?
    and if i go back to this before the problem started, do i want to do anything else once im in windows, do i want to restart in windows again ?

thank-you for the help. i will try this today when i get home from work.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No, unfortunately you cannot do a scanreg /restore in Win95.

But do verify your monitor settings through Display Properties. If you have a brand name model an model number, it should be "recognized" there and in the Device Manager. Even if it isn't you shouldn't be getting those errors if the refresh rate is set within its limits. If in doubt, set it to "optimal" or manually set it a default of 60hz. This should be within the range of any monitor. This setting is on the "Adapter" page of Display Settings (see attachment)

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice