1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor doesn't detect a signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BevR, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BevR

BevR Thread Starter

I connected an ethernet card to a 4-year-old Gateway desktop running Windows Millenium and then plugged everything back up and turned on the computer and the monitor would not detect a signal. I took the ethernet card out and took out and replaced the video card and rebooted and still no signal.
    I plugged in two different monitors and both these monitors showed no signal. I plugged in a working video card from another computer and still no signal. I also moved the video cards to different slots and no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate your help very, very much.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Hi, and welcome to the TSG forum :) (y)

pins bent on the plug at all.....
    I have seen this a few times where the pins are bent - however, if you used a different cable on the two monitors unlikely to be this .......

video cards to different slots ??? is it a PCI video card or AGP ???

does the PC bleep at all when you switch on????

3. 4ndy

4ndy

i had this problem before it turned out my motherboard got ****ed during installation of components, must of been something silly like static but eitherwy i got a new mobo.

just in case im not really to clear my problem was the motherboard, sounds like this is what uyour problem and etaf lol if he tried the card in a different slot its hardly likely to be an agp card :p

4. WarC

WarC

Reset CMOS either via jumper or by removing the battery for awhile. That might solve your problem.

Does the machine still enter POST? Is it making any beeping noises? Or is it just a dead duck? worst case scenario would be motherboard failure if it doesn't POST and is completely silent, even after the reset.

5. 4ndy

4ndy

oooh i just had an idea, plug in an ordinary ps2 mouse and keyboard, when i had this problem the ligths came on at start up for caps lock and stuff but i could not enable caps lock with a light and stuff, surefire way of knowing its mobo if it still turns on

6. BevR

BevR Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions. After reinstalling the card and disconnecting the bios for a few minutes, the monitor detected the signal. Thanks again.

7. tagalong

tagalong

uh....never mind. :D (y) :eek: :)

8. 4ndy

4ndy

is some one gonna add a solved to the end of this topic?

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    "4ndy" "some one" why not post how to do it - so that it can be marked solved.

"BevR"
    Would you now mark this thread solved - which you have the power to do from your first post.
    goto
    Tick - Mark Solved

Thanks

10. 4ndy

4ndy

lol i didnt knw you could do that

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/289098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice