1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor doesn't look right

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by nofx927, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nofx927

nofx927 Thread Starter

i wasn't sure where to put this, but i'm having a problem with my screen. there are grayish lines across it and it is extremely annoying. it isn' tthe monitor because i have tried hooking up the cpu to a different monitor and it works fine. i tried reinstalling the video card but nothing changed. the only thing i can think of is the cord but i'd rather see if anyone has any ideas before i go buy a new one. all i remember about it happening was that i was on espn.com and the gray lines appeared.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If you hook the computer to a different monitor and it works OK then it's your current monitor with gray lines not the computer. Just the opposite of what you say above.
    You refer to the computer as the CPU.

In fact, hooking up a different monitor to see if the computer (CPU) works OK is the test to determine if it's a bad monitor you're currently using. Your post indicates your 'gray line' monitor is bad not the computer (CPU).

It sounds like you need a new monitor.

3. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

You spoke of replacing the cord. Many (most?) monitors have the signal cord attached. If you have a removeable signal cord it would pay to remove it and reattach it and seat it well. Poor connections can do all sorts of funny things with the display.

(Lines unfortunately are probably not one of them) but try it - it may cure the problem

If not - I think you will be out monitor shopping as Styxx said.

If you have a fixed cord - replacing the power cord will not help your problem.

- C

4. nofx927

nofx927 Thread Starter

i'm sorry i dont know why i said that when i hoooked up the cpu to another computer that it worked fine, that was completely wrong, it was screwed up on the other monitor too. i did use the same cord to hook the cpu up to another monitor. sorry bout that. any ideas?

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

The data cables on monitors do not come off, OK? Only the monitor power cords are separate, that is, come off. BTW, those power cables are universal so they work on most any other monitor.

Since the forum now understands that you hooked two (2) different monitors to the same (1) computer and neither monitor worked correctly, you need to look to the video card (or the video capability, since some computers have the video capability incorporated into the main circuit board, called On-board Video) installed in the target computer as being the culprit, since know that the second monitor you used was a working unit.

You first need to determine if your computer has On-board Video or if it has an add-in video card in it, or both. If the computer has on-board video, was the on-board video ever correctly disabled before the add-in card was installed? If the computer has no on-board video then just try another add-in video card. With the video card out, is there still a plug to plug the monitor on to? If there is a plug to plug the monitor into for sure if the add-in card is taken out, then the computer has on-board video.

6. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Hey there Styxx,
    You are probably right that all monitors have the signal cables attached - but since I don't know that 100% I used most to cover my _ _ _.

Older monitors sometimes did. I have an NEC currently running in another office with a removeable cable.

I would like to suggest that as you do the above mentioned determinations - if you find that it is not on-board but instead a PCI video card, that you remove the card (with the computer off) and then reseat it again firmly in its slot and test the display. It's an easy first step before swapping cards.

just a thought!

- Castleheart ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice