1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elanor, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Hello. I use an Acer laptop, and I've been leaving it on quite a lot lately to download stuff. I left it on for about 18 hours, which I do on occasion, and it seemed fine till I powered it down. But now, I tried to switch it on, and the monitor has gone dark. I can see very, very, very faint traces of what's supposed to be onscreen, but it's pretty much mostly a sea of black. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Burned fuse, or something? And how can that problem be solved? Is it just a matter of replacing a bulb or wire? Or it is a big, costly process? Thanks so much for all your help!

2. active95

active95

If you are able to boot ( and it seems so since you're able to see "something" on the LCD ) then either the LCD took a dive or the video is at fault.
    Usualy it's the LCD that goes down in "flames" and since it's a laptop and not a desktop about the only thing that will help is to replace the LCD. Depending of the model and the shop ( if you decide to take it to a shop ) expect to pay somewere in between $150 -$400 :(
    If you were moving the LCD a lot ( as in open-close, open-close) it might have been the "ribbon" that connects the LCD to the laptop , but this is not the case. AFAIK there isn't any "fuse" that can be replaced and bring back the LCD.
    I know it's too late now but next time "blank_out" the LCD after , let's say 10 min (using the build in screen saver)

3. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Whew. That got me really worried, but luckily it wasn't the LCD itself but simply the inverter that went down in flames. :) Will use a screensaver from now on, though. Always switched that off before. Is it recommended to use the Power setting that switches the monitor off completely if you'll leave the laptop on, say, overnight? How do you switch it back on when you switch it off that way, would you know? Thanks!

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The simple solutions are often the best.

Every laptop I have ever owned has had a switch that automatically powered down the screen when the lid was closed.

So just close the lid?

5. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

My laptop, unfortunately, is different in that respect. It goes on standby when the lid is closed.

6. active95

active95

If laptop is left on over the night.. sure... use the power saving and set it to "turn monitor off" after , let's say 20 min.. That way the laptop will still be on , but you protect the LCD. To bring it right back to life , use move the finger on the touchpad and will bring it right up (or can press the spacebar )

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

That behaviour should be user defined, under power settings in Control Panel. You can select just what it does when the lid is closed in most cases.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice