1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JPHubbert, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JPHubbert

JPHubbert Thread Starter

Been trying to get an older system put together to learn LINUX and can't find Monitor/screen resolution drivers for Samsung's Samtron 77V s monitor. Samsung's site doesn't even acknowledge that they ever built it. I can plainly read the model number, serial number and the date of manufacture on the plate at the back and the admonition that Samsung will sue the bejesus out of any one who illegally modifies or otherwise alters, tries to alter or deface the equipment.

Any help out there? I'd like to get up to about 1040 by 768 on it. While it was attached to a PC in the office it ran at that resolution, or even tighter.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Should be able to get it through the graphics cards drivers that high.

Might also try the Linux forum if the problem is in Linux.

3. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Hi,

Is LCD ot CRT?

If the latter, I doubt if wil support resolutions that high....and, depending on the age of this system, it may not either.

Also, I know notiing about Linux....except reading about it made me wanna drink Hemlock.:rolleyes: But I admire you for doing this! But this monitor/puter combo manyh not the right one for this.

Getting drivers in Windows....is at least one not so terrible part of Windows.

OK sorry, this is CRT but betta monitor than I thought:
    http://product.ebay.com/Samsung-SAMTRON-77V-17-inch-CRT-Monitor_W0QQfvcsZ2982QQsoprZ52109304QQupvrZ2

Does support decent resolutions....but if U r at the early stage of learning Linux....this is more problematic than were you further along. Post above re Linux forum.....excellent suggestion.

4. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

addencum: as I was saying....you could do plug and play were U running W12K or XP:

Product Information
    The SAMTRON 77V is the ideal monitor for office and home users. Its large screen offers full clear visibility. The perfect flicker-free display eliminates eyestrain. It has a horizontal frequency of 30,70kHz and 1280 X 1024 maximum resolution. In addition, the perfected Plug and Play supports DDC and new USB (optional). The compact design of SAMTRON 77V offers you the freedom to fully utilize your space without compromising clarity, safety and performance. The SAMTRON 77V is perfectly compatible with Windows 2000, Windows ME and Windows XP and can be connected directly to Macintosh. It satisfies the standard of energy 2000 by adopting an epochal power technology that makes 3W power consumption in minimum in standing by state.

5. JPHubbert

JPHubbert Thread Starter

Jill-

The plug & play resolution is 480 by 600. The screen uses only 16 colors. The presentation mode is 'plaid'. Everything is cross-hatched; none of the display presentations generate a whole screen; I must scroll both horz & vert to see the output. It's really frustrating; especially since the LINUX download won't display in this resolution.
    The only thing that works is some COBOL applics that haven't been sent to work.

While this monitor was used at work we had it to 1024 by 768 or even tighter. Some of the monitors in Engineering spaces are 1280 by 1024. This one could have been there, instead of the business activity unit where I worked. When it came home with me I asked the hardware guy what to do and he said get the driver package from Samsung. That was 2 other stories ago. Neither of us work there any more. Where I work now we outsource all our work to SAP - so there are no answers - and I'm out of IT for the moment.

Jock

6. JPHubbert

JPHubbert Thread Starter

Thanks -
    LINUX doesn't like this resolution - won't initialize; asks for better screen values. LINUX = SuSE-8.2; I know it's not the latest, but it's what I have and what I have to work with.
    Not familiar with using graphics cards. I was a mainframe applics guy until 18 months ago; so I would need a clue or two.

7. JPHubbert

JPHubbert Thread Starter

Just now found first part of answer. It's a matter of where to find drivers. Samsung doesn't have the monitor in its product table. Everytime I've searched for the driver, the site tells me that there is no such animal as a 77V s monitor. At Google, I put-in the serial number and it took me to Samsung; the serial number includes the model at the front of the serial number.
    Nice quote from Proust.

8. JPHubbert

JPHubbert Thread Starter

LINUX is like UNIX with a conscience or OS2 with a future. It's all in the learning.

9. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Jock: (sleep is a conspiracy and I don need it, lol):

First, I so appreciate your relating to the Proust quote....it distills wut I have come to on my in my journey and I only remembered it from college when I reached that point WITHIN. It was a retroactive affirmation/pop-up.

Next...nice (blech) re "No such animal." Left hand does not know wut right hand is doing.

But Jock....good new IS, from your detailed and excellent description doesn't sound like yr color guns....that's huge; sounds like...and I do not mean to rain on your ambitious parade re Linux....forget the couple who conceived & gestated it originally; anyone with the vision and tenacity to bring an open source alternative to Windows for PCs....has my vote.....but your problems seem to owe to the protractions of Linux. This lovely ontor was made to consort with the versions of Windows above and MACs.

As I mentioned somewhere above...ONE GOOD thing about Windows=drivers. Perhaps, excepting XP, 64-bit.

Learning Linux is daunting enuff endeavor...also heroic and laudible and all that.....but that compounded by your trying to see things on a high end monitor Linux is unlkely to relate to....may even be little masochistic, no?

I mean your doing the learning Linux heroics with this atypical monitor is like playing in the NBA here, stateside...with one hand tied behind yr back! Samsung I would guess, does not offer drivers compatible with linux....and bet Linux has none....sounds liked doomed isometric struggle to me.

Could you perhaps save this lovely monitor for a Wndows based system and get a cheap, classic old , very affordable workhorse one for this noble ambition? One Linux would look on kindly, with familiarity? And drivers? :eek:
    One which might look acceptable at lower resolutions? A nice sturdy peasant monitor?

You R too nice to suffer this. Also, too smart.

10. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

11. JPHubbert

JPHubbert Thread Starter

Jill,

My limitation here is my slavish attachment to mainframes & minis. I worked the Enterprise side of the street. Cullinane, PanValet, etc. AS400's, VSE's, OS/VS, MVS, OS/VM, 3090's - Dispersed Procs.
    As for mixing it up with the Knicks - not on my agenda, but two of the exhausted roosters of the Giants, Em Tunnell & Dick Lane (the old Nite-rain) were my mentors on the west coast.
    Where'd you pick up Proust? I was St.John's-'67, in Maryland.
    You sound like my kind of person. Bored by others' revelry during holiday periods. Are you familiar with Ratnor's down on Delancey? Not there anymore, but one of my favorite places back in the day. Used to come to town to conferences at T-Dub and PanAm; they were clients of our Programming Service Bureau, but then so were Braniff, Eastern, Northwest, TransTexas ... You get the picture? All bankrupt and deceased by their own hand [or Karl Icahn's].
    Well so much for history. I'll go check your citation. I finally found a contact link to Samsung and sent them a message. We'll see how that works; their site has forced choices and the Samtron 77V s was not one of them. I gave them any model number it would take and the correct serial number.
    Thanks for the help.

Jock

12. JPHubbert

JPHubbert Thread Starter

LINUX has specifically requested 1020 by 768 resolution. If no driver to get there in WIN-2K/SP4; then can't initialize and transfer control to LINUX. LINUX balks at resolution and manual says will seek monitor driver if resolution is available. If I had an old PC/DOS operating system may be that I could get it to work. But I have to have the CD drivers that work in DOS. May be too complicated and I'll have to just buy the complete set of tools, including the CPU & Monitor. Am trying to initiate a dual boot box, eventually arriving at a system equally at home in a COBOL, RPG/PC & FORTRAN environment running over LINUX for LAN Management. Sell system and my COBOL and other high-end language skills with the system.
    Jock is now sleepy. He was up at 4:AM [screaming bloody merdur] and PTSD endocrines are draining - I got a case of the VietNam revisits.

13. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Jock:

Thanks for the copliments....I think this is not the place for me to reply....off topic cliff edge....but do not say the word
    :Knicks" pls.:mad:

But.....did U use the link I pasted above in post #10? Or did yr last post reflect you had seen it and followed up and it is still problematic??? I am clueless re Linux, but it appears to me on that Samsung site devoted to YOUR MONITOR---45 page PDF doc....THAT THEY GAVE DIRECTIONS FOR INSTALLATION for someone running Linux with this monitor, NO?????? I may be thinking wishfully tho....Pls report back, cause I am not clear on this!
    Edit: am attaching screenie of portion of massive, detailed documentation for YOUR SPECIFIC MONITOR and respective operating systems. attaching part re linux.....above which is detailed info about respective windows oses......including warnings re not the right drivers, yadda, yadda....and even installng in safe mode.

It really does appear possible...if little convoluted.

Attached Files:

14. JPHubbert

JPHubbert Thread Starter

Jill,
    I went to to the *.pdf. I'm going to assemble a fresh 'puter tomorrow and try to boot it from a LINUX disc. My copy of SuSE wants proof of resolution capacity. May be that it's an idiosyncracy of Euro versions and will boot from a CD in a sterile environment with only a formatted hard-drive and the CD tray in which the boot-up is initiated.
    Please accept my apology for embarrassing you. It certainly was unintentional. I was only reminiscing about the City. I went to the city every weekend of OCS at Ft.Belvoir. My 7 roomies were all from the City. Two from Park Slope, 3 from Kew Gardens and two from the West 70's. Lane & Tunnell played football for the Giants and later with me on the west coast, and we saw 3 games at Yankee Stadium. This is all reminiscence. I really had a good time there. I got to eat Mama Stamberg's cranberry sauce in 1966. Everyone at their Temple made it. And that isn't the strongest memory I have.
    I'm enjoying your help. Forgive the indulgence. My public E-mail is on Yahoo.
    Jock

15. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

OK first, puhleeezze....in no WAY did you embarrass me! Your level of rich and nuanced could not generate any such. You think I would like nothing better than to enter this exhange? I am only trying to monitor my tendency to loose boundaries & re appropriate forums for this and that. Please know this!

Now....my "help" I fear....is pretty inadequate....cause it appears your skills are far above mine in this endeavor. Being both underestimated and over... bring me the same angst.

I am clueless about something demanding "proof of resolution."....sounds very Teutonic to me, boy! On the otha hand....the Wndsors ARE.....German.:rolleyes:

I think some naivete of mine made me feel that the PDF document covered all the relevant bases RE ALL COMPATIBLE OPERATING SYSTEMS re installing yr monitor. And as far a euro versions of this or that being more demandIng than some other....at least re the currency against the dollar.....is SOUND.

I look forward to reading the specific of your progress!:D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice