Monitor Flickers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Beef246

Hey, my monitor has recently started to flicker with white lines flashing across the screen and sometimes the whole screen just goes white for a minute or two, anyone know what may be causing this and how to fix it?

Beef246

Yeah, Ive had the monitor for about 3 years now and this is the first time it has happened? and im not to sure why really, could it be something to do with my graphics card drivers or monitor drivers?

Beef246

I dont think I could, I might be able to but is there no solution that can be implemented just now to fix the problem?

sorry, not from me, kinda would be hard for anyone I would think. Is there a demagnetize option on your monitor, if so try that, I really don't think it's the monitor, generally they last for years, every once in a while they do have problems.

Its NOT going to be a degaussing (demagnetising) issue, that just causes patches of image discolouration.

We assume a CRT monitor here?

Check all connections on the monitor and the PC.

When next it happens, give the monitor a "calibrated thump" (firm but gentle smack on the side) and see if that influences it. If it does, it's likely a "dry (poorly) soldered component or joint", these can take an expert a few days to track down and a new monitor is often cheaper.

Cellphones in the near vicinity can also cause flashes, but unlikely to cause a white screen for 2 minutes unless you are talking on the phone a foot or two from the monitor.

G'day beef246, it may be time to oil the wheel on your wheelbarrow full of money, that sounds rather grim. What kind of monitor is on your wish-list?
Does the picture stay in perfect focus and size when this problem happens, if not it is probably a EHT (definite monitor) problem,
Cheers, qldit.

Beef246

Its an LCD monitor that I have. Yeah the image does stay in focus its just like a white screen has been placed in front of it ands covers the screen, im not sure what is causing it though? or how to fix it?

G'day Beef, my apologies, disregard my post, I was thinking it was a CRT.
An LCD having flickering problems sounds odd, I would suggest trying it on another system.
Cheers, qldit.

Beef246

Are you saying that i may have to buy a new monitor? i'll try taking it to my friends house later on tonight and see if It will work there or not

Beef246 said:
Are you saying that i may have to buy a new monitor? i'll try taking it to my friends house later on tonight and see if It will work there or not
thats really the easiest way to be sure its not a video card problem.

Good Morning gentlemen, yes I would have suspected the video card except that it has all the symptoms of an actual problem in the display brightness area which under normal circumstances in my experience was usually a monitor problem.
Either way it should reasonably split the possibilities more easily.
Aren't these kinds of problems a nuisance?
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online