1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Monitor for Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MaryBeth, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Thread Starter

Hello. I have a Dell Vista that needs a new monitor. I called Dell but do not totally trust what they are saying. Does anyone know any reason if I buy a Dell monitor from Amazon or Walmart that it would not work? They were telling me it has to match up with my computer. I think if I go buy one from Walmart or Amazon it would work. What do you think?
    I appreciate your input.
    Thank you

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Buy a monitor with a port that is compatible with your computer's output port(s) and you should have no trouble.

Buy a monitor with only incompatible port(s) and you may find a conversion cable that may or may not work well.

Since a new monitor may well outlast a computer that is so old that it is running Vista I recommend getting a monitor that includes an HDMI port. If your computer does not have HDMI then make sure the monitor also has whatever port (probably VGA but maybe DVI) you need.

The other item of possible concern is the screen resolutions supported by your computer's display card and the resolutions supported by the monitor. Take note of what screen resolutions your system supports (especially the recommended one). The specs for a monitor should list its supported resolutions.

3. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet.. I did not know any of that.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) I hope that's what the Dell folks meant by "match up."

I dare say that few of us know any of that until we try to do something other than buying a complete off-the-shelf computer.

5. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Thread Starter

I am glad I asked because you I trust... and yes that had to be what he was talking about matching up. I thought he was just trying to sell me an expensive monitor. You know I want one but the most reasonable one I need.
    Thanks again. I will mark this solved. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice