1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor getting signal but no display? Computer seems to load but cant see anything?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OtisDriftwood, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OtisDriftwood

OtisDriftwood Thread Starter

Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help me with a problem I'm having with my computer. A couple weeks ago the computer screen went blank and I've not been able to figure out why or what the exact problem is.

When I start the computer I don't get a boot up or splash screen at all. I think their there, but I just cant see them. The weird thing is that the computer seems to be loading. I get the normal beep at startup and after about a minute I can hear the windows startup music play. I can also play dvds. I can hear them playing. I just cant see them playing. The monitor seems to be getting a signal. The power light comes on and stays on (until I force shutdown). The screen isn't pitch black as if it wasn't getting a signal. Its actually a brighter black if that makes any sense kinda like its trying to show something, but it cant. You can even see the screen kinda flashes a little like its changing screens during the normal loading process. I'm not able to go into Bios or safe mode because I have no display at all.

Things I've tried,
    I tried a different working monitor with same results.
    Tried taking the memory out, cleaning it and slots. Putting it back with no luck.
    Tried resetting Bios by way of removing the cmos battery and also clearing through the jumper. No change.
    Checked all my power chords and connectors. Everything seems to be hooked up and good. All fans running.
    Hard drive is good. Took it out and tested on another computer. Works fine.
    Thought its might be the integrated onboard graphics gone bad, so I got a lower end PCI-Express video card from Best Buy. Plugged it in and got a No Signal box on the monitor which I didn't understand because the fan was running on the card. Anyways I returned the card. I later learned that the card called for a stronger Power Supply Unit than what I have in the computer, So maybe that's why it didn't work?

I'm not the brightest guy when it comes to stuff like this. I can do basic repairs, but this one has me stumped. I'm still leaning toward it being the integrated graphics gone bad. Either that or the Power Supply Unit which I read can cause problems if its not putting out enough power.

I'm hoping maybe one of you might have a suggestion or an idea of what the problem might be and how to possibly fix it. Thanks for taking the time!

Computer info: emachines ET1331G-03w (bought new about for years ago)
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    AMD Athlon II X2 235e Dual-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Integrated
    DVD-Super Multi drive
    750 GB HDD
    6GB DDR2 memory
    Multi in one Media Manager
    Video Output VGA
    Rating: 100-127/220-240 Vac, 6/3, 15A, 60/50Hz

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    That's the chip on your motherboard that supplies the graphics. Since you never see a thing on your monitor, it appears it is dead.
    In a desktop, you will be able to buy a video card, install that and plug the monitor into the VGA port on the new graphics card.

Find out what empty slots are available then someone can point you to a graphics card that will fit the slot.

Also, find out how weak/powerful your power supply is. You might need to replace it with one that has more watts depending on the graphics card.

3. allheart55

allheart55

This model has a 300 watt PSU.

4. OtisDriftwood

Thank you both for your input. I guess I will give a new graphics card another try and possibly a new stronger PSU. Fingers crossed :)

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If you replace the GPU with anything other than a low end card, I would very strongly recommend you replace the PSU. A 300w unit really isn't up to running much at all when it comes to standalone graphics cards.

6. OtisDriftwood

Hi guys, Just wanted to give a quick update. I installed a new PCI Express video graphics card and that did the trick. I now have a display again. Thanks to all for your help! Much appreciated :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice