1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor goes black but the tower is still on.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UndreamtLight, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UndreamtLight

UndreamtLight Thread Starter

Hi there, i'm having an issue where I would be browsing the web, watching Netflix, playing a game or even just going through files and the computer would just go right to a black screen where the backlit LED lights are still visible and the monitors blue ON glow is still active and I would look over at the PC and it would still be on. All noises from shows id be watching would play then cut out like they were interrupted and when i unplug the video cord and plug it back in all i get is a white static screen then it will usually go back to black backlit screen. I have searched all over to find out the issue that is causing this but i just can't figure it out. I would even hold the power button to restart the PC and the moment it would restart and be back at the home screen it would happen again. Please help!

PC specs: CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970
    Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus Gene VI
    Power Supply: Corsair HX 750
    Ram: G.Skill Sniper 1866 16GB
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

2. Sponsor

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

Probably bad video card

4. UndreamtLight

Could it be the video card? I mean after restarting my pc everything is usually back to normal till a random moment in time where it repeats the same thing, like i just went about 4 days without it happening and BAM! it happened 2 hours ago, I haven't noticed or seen any signs of it failing, but I could be wrong.

5. metallica5456

yea id start there...I know psu is high quality unit but its possible albeit not likely its the PSU. but id start at the video card

6. UndreamtLight

Would it help if I said that the power cables attached to the video card are kinda stretched tight to bend and plug into it?

7. metallica5456

might but should still work...its probably a faulty card or psu. either swap the psu or the card...you have to start with on eof them

8. UndreamtLight

Welp, replaced my 970 with a new one, the isue didnt happen again till about 4 minutes ago, this time turning the screen brown.

9. UndreamtLight

Hi again! so I had this issue before and I had help with someone saying it mightve been the graphics card. Well, I replaced it with a new one and I didnt experience the issue for a few days, but just a half hour ago it happened again, twice. So it's been narrowed down, it isn't the GPU like most of my friends thought, but I have no way of checking if its anything else due to a backup power supply being too low wattage and well that would be about the only other part I have haha. This issue is really causing my anxiety to hit new levels as I just can't figure this out, I have never experienced this before till about the beginning of march, I thought it was driver issues but I went through older and newer ones to no avail, and my monitor is just fine, I have already tested that theory. Could it be the modular power cables attached to the graphics card? Could it be the motherboard failing? My BIOS is also at stock, nothing is overclocked and speccy is reporting everything at normal temps. Please Help!

PC Specs:
    CPU: Intel i5 4690K Devil's Canyon
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 100 ME (the 4G one thats red, but green)
    Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus Gene VI Z87 chipset
    Power Supply:Corsair HX750 750Watt (not the hx 750i)
    Ram: G.Skill Sniper 16GB 1866 DDR3

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi UndreamtLight

I have merged your posts to one thread. Please continue replies in this thread for this issue.
    Thank you!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168510