1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor goes black for 15-30mins when changing resolutions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by entrerian, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. entrerian

entrerian Thread Starter

Problem description: My monitor goes black for 15-30mins when opening and closing certain programs, fairly randomly. It seems to be happen with programs that change resolutions when opening, or starting up Windows XP. Any time there is a brief 'flick' where the screen normally goes black for a second while the resolution changes and then comes back, is an opportunity for this to occur. For example, if I alt+tab from a game to my desktop, I have to cross my fingers and hope that my monitor doesn't stay black when changing resolutions. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, and I'm not sure what the circumstances are that cause it to happen one way or the other.

Attempted fixes: The monitor does come back on it's own after a random amount of time. When it does come back, there's sort of a soft pop sound that comes from the monitor. If I turn the monitor off and then back on when it goes black, the screen comes back on for half a second and shows the desktop, game, or whatever was on the screen when it turned black and then immediately goes back to black. The menu buttons on the monitor also don't work when this happens.

I have my HDtv connected to my computer as well with my desktop extended onto it. When the main monitor goes black, the HDtv is still running with the desktop, so I'm going to assume that the problem is isolated to the monitor and not the computer. I would try connecting a different monitor, but I only have this one.

Recent changes: I can't think of anything offhand that I may have changed to cause this. It's been going on for a few months now and all I can assume is that the monitor is getting old/defective. I've only had it for 1-2 years at the most, though.

System specs:
    My monitor: 24" Soyo Topaz S at 1920x1200 resolution
    Windows XP Pro 32-bit
    3.0 Intel E8400
    Geforce 8600 GTS
    2GB RAM
    Antec Sonata III 500w Power Supply
    500gb Seagate Hard Drive
    I honestly can't remember what kind of motherboard I have and I'm embarrassed to say that I have no idea where to find out in windows.

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  3. entrerian

entrerian Thread Starter

Yes, my case is clean and my fans are working fine. Also, I have the latest drivers for my video card. I didn't see anything useful to my problem in the microsoft links, but the belarc thing is pretty cool.

4. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice