1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor goes black when booting

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by CONSTON, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CONSTON

CONSTON Thread Starter

I have Win 98, my system will only boot up in safe mode. If I try to boot the regular way it starts to load it even shows the win 98 logo screen, then it just goes black.

I have 20gb hd, 256mb ram.

Please help.

Thanks

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

Have you installed a new display or video driver lately?

Windows 98 is designed to start in SAFE MODE if it detects an incompatible display driver which is probably what is happening in your case.

To fix this, try starting in safe mode and going to Device Manager (right click My Computer, Properties, Device Manager) clicking on the + sign next to Display Adapters then right click and REMOVE it. Click OK and re-start the computer. It should detect the display adapter and re-install the driver for it.

If you then can start up in NORMAL MODE, go back to Device Manager, click on the + sign next to Display Adapters again and double click your adapter, click on the DRIVER TAB and click on UPDATE DRIVER. If you are connected to the Internet you can check Microsoft for an updated driver. You can also visit the adapters manufacturer website and download an updated driver from them.

Please give us feedback as to whether or not this helps with your problem.

3. CONSTON

CONSTON Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast reply. When I followed the directions the problem seems to have gotten worse. When I rebooted the system it know gives me "

an exception 06 has occured at 0028:00000017 in VxD ---. tHIS WAS CALLED FROM 0028:C18671B0 in VxD ---. iT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO CONTINUE NORMALLY

PRESS ANY KEY TO ATTEMPT TO CONTINUE"

wHEN I PRESS A KEY IT LOCKS UP. What do you make of this

4. walkeriam

walkeriam

Again, Have you installed a new display or video driver lately?

Did this problem just happen out of the blue or can you give us some history that lead up to this problem?

Did you write down the name of the DISPLAY ADAPTER when you were in DEVICE MANAGER?

Restart in SAFE MODE again and check Device Manager for any Yellow Exclamation Marks. Then come back here and tell me if:
    1) There is any Yellow Exclamation Marks?
    and
    2) Is there a Display Adapter listed and what the name of it is?

To get to SAFE MODE, hold down on the CTRL key when starting your computer and select SAFE MODE from the startup list.

Please answer ALL questions, the best you can, in your next post.

5. CONSTON

CONSTON Thread Starter

It happened just after I installed adept cd creater at the same time that i had ahead nero cd burner on my computer. i think the two together caused a conflict.

it is showing the proper video display driver that corresponds with my monitor in safe mode. again i can get into safe mode but not into normal.

6. walkeriam

walkeriam

Please, Please, Please answer my questions above. There is FIVE (5) Questions and you answered two (2) of them.

In SAFE MODE, try Un-installing the Easy CD Creator program (through Add and Remove Programs in the Control Panel) and re-starting your computer in NORMAL MODE.

7. weebit38

weebit38

Hi I'm having the same problem .WHen I start up my computer the screen is black and I cannot get to anything
    to try and fix it.I put another monitor on and it works but I cannot get the original to work and the monitor has
    the green light on at start up and when I turn it off it has the amber color but the screen is black
    I have windows 98 .A gateway 400 pentium II.The monitor is the gateway EV700
    Can anyone help?
    Thank you
    Tina

8. walkeriam

walkeriam

You should hook the old monitor up to your computer and start it in SAFE MODE. Then go to START > RUN and Type in MSCONFIG and press ENTER. Then click on the ADVANCE BUTTON. Then put a check mark in the box VGA 640x480x16 and click OK and restart your computer in regular mode. Then update the Display Adapter through Device Manager (right click MY COMPUTER > PROPERTIES > DEVICE MANAGER > DISPLAY ADAPTER > DRIVER > UPDATE DRIVER and follow the instructions).

To start in Safe Mode, hold down on the CTRL key after you push the Power Button to turn on the computer and use the arrow keys to select SAFE MODE from the start menu and press ENTER.

9. kevt

kevt

I wonder if the problem is actually with the monitor rather than the display adapter. In display properties does it actually list your monitor, or does it show 'default monitor' or even another monitor. You may be trying to run it at a refresh rate, or resolution that it doesn't support. Then, to protect itself, the monitor switches itself off. Can you get a driver file for this display? Type in 'gateway EV700 driver' in Google and you'll get plenty of hits, including the Gateway support site.

10. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D I think I would cut to the chase and plug your monitor up to another computer to see if it works. If it doesn't, then it's most likely the monitor. I just replaced an EV700 that was doing the same thing.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice