1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor goes blank after a few seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jbj1162, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbj1162

jbj1162 Thread Starter

Hi I have a Dell™ OptiPlex™ 745 with a Galaxy Nvidia Gforce GT240 pci express video card and a sceptre x20 flat screen monitor all the sudden after working on computer for a couple hours monitor went blank so i tried turning it off and on again and it stayed on for a few seconds and went blank again now thats all it does I tried monitor on different computer and it seemed to work fine so I'm guessing my video card went south on me ? any ideas ?

Thanks jbj1162

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My first thought would be a failing pw supply. You would need to swap parts with known good units to test. This system has onboard video. Have you tried using the onboard video to troubleshoot?

Next if you installed that video card and used the same pw supply that came with the system, you are asking for problems. The oem dell pw supply that comes with a system like yours, just cannot reliably pw a real video card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice