1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor goes blank for a second...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XP-1800, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Weird. My monitor will go 'black' for a second and then the display returns to normal.
    This can be a bit annoying if I am playing a game, it is just as if someone blips the power off for a second and then on again.
    No computer freezing or anything like that so everything I was doing is normal when the display is back.
    Anyone any ideas ? :)

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

What settings are you using for the resolution/ refresh rate?

Are the drivers for the graphics card updated?

3. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Refresh is default for this lcd monitor is 60hz and res. is 1280 x 1024/32.
    I was on drivers v77.77 but trying v78.03 but it still happens.
    I doesn't do it all the time, maybe a couple of times a day, and very random.
    It can be in a game, surfing, doing an email etc.

4. jackdw

jackdw

is the power lead inserted ok? or the data cable? most likely the power cable

5. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Checked the power and video lead to rear of monitor, both in tight.
    Checked the video lead to gfx card and tightened up the locking studs a bit.
    Checked to make sure gfx card fully inserted and locked in slot and that the 6 pin power lead is in tight.
    I shall have to see if that fixes it or not.
    It could be something as simple as the connector not being screwed up tight...or maybe not....:)

6. jackdw

jackdw

ypu could take the gfx card out. use an air can or otehr simalar equipment and give it a few blasts, re-insert it.
    also, check in device manager (right click my computer>properties>hardware tab>device manager. If anything expands on its own, write the name of what here

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds like an intermittent failure of the backlight or the inverter on the LCD panel itself.

8. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Shut down removed psu power cable and removed and used soft paintbrush (bristle not nylon) to brush card. Since I have no aircan if gave it a bit of 'huffing' in the pci-e slot. The card has only been in the board for about a month since a complete upgrade/rebuild so there is not much dust/muck inside yet.
    I checked the device mgr but nothing is showing with any '?' problems.
    I've had two black screens earlier today, but none this evening.
    I did try my psu with split +12v rails and also in the 'combined' mode......just in case, but have had black screens using both options.
    It may, just may, have been where the video lead to the gfx card was not tightened enough. I have and analogue feed so I have to use the dv-analogue convertor so there are two connectors to make sure are nice and tight.
    Time will tell, and thanks for taking the time to reply......:)

9. winbob

winbob

XP-1800,

You seem to have ignored kiwiguy's comment about the possibility of Backlight failure....Big Mistake :eek:

10. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Sorry...I missed kiwiguys post :eek: and it seems a good possibility.
    So far today it hasn't blacked out........but then I never know when it is going to either... :D

11. nyheat

nyheat

hey XP-1800 did you ever figure out why that was happening?

I'm having the same problem with my LCD

12. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Hi nyheat, nope I haven't figured it out.
    But, I am wondering if the monitor is fine, but it is something to do with household appliances :(
    It can happen when the hot water boiler or freezer kick in, but may just be coincidence. It just seems to be random. When the hot tap is turned on, or someone takes a shower and the boiler starts the monitor will black out for a second and then the display comes back. It is weird, and not confirmed that this is the cause, but stranger things happen :)
    It will only do it a couple of times and not constantly be blacking out while the boiler is running.
    I guess I am clutching at straws, but that is when it seems to happen.
    Weird :D

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It could be a dodgy power supply or backlight inverter, that is sensitive to the small voltage fluctuations when larger appliances kick in?

The typical LCD power supply is extremely tolerant of voltage, but perhaps not in your case. The variation (small voltage depression) may be causing the LCD backlight inverter to momentarily fail, so the screen goes black.

It sounds like a fault more than a natural occurrence.

14. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Cheers mate, that does indeed sound plausible. Returning the screen and getting the Store to replicate the problem might be a bit more difficult.
    So, it seems I either live with it, or face a (probable) battle with Currys about a 'fault' that only shows up in my house and not instore. Since there is no way of knowing when the screen will black out, I could be standing in the Store all day glued to the screen waiting for it to black out :D
    Faults can be a bit tedious sometimes :(

15. nyheat

nyheat

I bought mine online, but I still have a little bit of time left on my warranty.
    It's a Samsung LCD, so I'll try to give them a call later today.

If it comes down to a power problem, I suppose I'll just pick up a UPS and hope for the best :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice