1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor goes blank while in use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hpennco, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hpennco

hpennco Thread Starter

Hello folks, I have had this problem for a while and it finally pushed me over the edge.

The computer is working fine and doing its thing when all of a sudden the monitor pops, goes blank and nothing works. Can't crlt+alt+delete or anything to get out of it.

My question is "What is going on?" I believe that it is the video card, but I do not want to replace it until I know for sure.
    THanks for any help.
    H :D

2. intromaster

intromaster

That's the same freakin' problem I've been having too for at least a couple months, but have been to lazy to really mess with the pc to check what was causing it.

I did change the video card but the problem still is there. I think it could be the processor getting to hot causing it too lock up and the monitor to go black because the cooling fan not working like it once used too.

3. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

If your monitor 'pops' and then goes out you have a bad monitor.
    You can check by using another monitor or trying this monitor on a friends system.
    If it 'pops' it is most likely an electrical short or a capasitor is going bad.
    It is a CRT monitor right and not a LCD?
    Don't try to fix it yourself or craking the case to look around.
    Touch the wrong circuit board or a capasitor and you'll be in for a BIG SUPRISE.
    Large amounts of voltage are still in the monitor even if it is not plugged in.

If your computer 'pops' then that is a hole different story.

4. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Power saving mode ?
    Does it happen when you are working with it
    or you leave it alone for a while ?

5. hpennco

hpennco Thread Starter

It is not the monitor, but thanks for the effort.
    I actually just got a new(used) one, but it did it with the old one as well.
    someone said it might be the fan on the motherboard, but I have 2 fans in the box already, one just for my mother, to keep her cool and happy. :)
    I have heard that the video card can do it, or a memory issue.
    It seems to happen when the computer has been on for a long time.
    Hope this helps.
    you first,
    then me.
    thanks
    H

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice