1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor goes dark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guessed, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guessed

Guessed Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a flat screen LCD monitor which goes dark after about 1 second of being on. By dark, I don't mean entirely black. If you look very closely, you can still barely make out stuff. When I switch it with my other monitor, the monitor still has the problem, so I don't think it is an issue with the connection to the computer.

Here is a video that shows it: http://peter.d.reid.googlepages.com/monitor.MOV (save target as). In that, I unplug and replug it, and it goes on briefly. You can't really see it in the video, but it's not entirely black except for when it's unplugged.

Thanks for any help.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I kind of suspect that the backlight power supply is shutting down due to some type of hardware fault on the monitor. Can you display any type of built in setup menu screens on the monitor itself?

3. Guessed

Guessed Thread Starter

Ok, that sounds like a good explanation. Thanks.

The menu on my screen is:
    Auto Adjust
    Contrast/Brightness
    Color Adjust
    Information
    Image Adjust
    Setup Menu
    - Language Select
    - Resolution Notice
    - OSD Position
    - OSD Time Out
    Memory Recall

None of these look very promising to me and I have done significant fiddling. The contrast/brightness has no noticeable effect effect.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    When you activate any of the menus, do they appear very dim or are they at the expected normal brightness?

5. Guessed

Guessed Thread Starter

They are also very dim.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I just wanted to confirm that everything was dark. The problem is most likely the high voltage power supply for the backlight shutting down for some reason.

7. Guessed

Guessed Thread Starter

Ok, I guess I'll just try to replace that. Thank you.

8. barncat

barncat

cwwozniak "I just wanted to confirm that everything was dark. The problem is most likely the high voltage power supply for the backlight shutting down for some reason. "

By "backlight", would that also be called the raster? not familar with that term...thanks....

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice