1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor going out?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Laurie52, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurie52

Laurie52 Thread Starter

I have a NEC MultiSync 3V that has served me well for seven years. But I "think" it's going out finally. (unless it's something else.)

For the last couple of weeks it has begun to briefly "pincushion" after I am online for awhile. As if you quickly push the vertical inwards a "fraction" and release. Occasionally a slight horizontal side "jiggle". It is not a constant, but enough to make me worried. I reset the refresh rate from default 60 to 72 to see if this helps. But am asking if there is anything else that could be done.

Otherwise, all displays, colors, brightness and all are fine. When I am not using it, the monitor is turned off after I shut down the computer. This time of year, I operate the computer only in the late night to very early mornings due to the daytime Summer temperatures. Daytime temps are now in the mid 'teens out side. At night, with the swamper (evaporative cooler) going, my office stays about 80 or just under.

Previously, I had gotten it to use with an eMachine 600 sometime in May 2001....and the monitor was used when I got it.

Since May 2005, it has been connected to a HP Pavilion 5.04n 2gig, WinXP Home, 758 RAM, Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Extreme Graphics Controller. After seven years of excellent service, I am hoping all the recent display problems just means getting another monitor.

Living in the Arizona Southwest desert as I do, it has gone through extremes of temps, and through our thunderstorms (in which case, the surge protector is unplugged from the wall) But we have had occasional brief "on and off" power outages without warning when both computer and monitor have been on. So can't complain too much.

Would appreciate any help and/or suggestions.

2. Laurie52

Laurie52 Thread Starter

Anyone out there able to answer the question?

3. Laurie52

Laurie52 Thread Starter

One more time.

My 7 year old NEC MultiSync 3V MONITOR " pincushions" for a few seconds after I am online for awhile for business and any Admin work. Sometimes it will "jiggle" or "dance" as well.

This started just over a week ago. Up til then, never had any problems. IT does NOT do this all the time but enough that it is worrisome.

To Wit:

IF IT IS my MONITOR, I would like to know.
    I have looked all over the web for any tips about aging monitors showing these kinds of symptoms and cannot find squat. (other than stuff about offcolors)

BUT IF my HP 504n Pavilion's Intergrated Graphics Card is going out, ..... I Would Like to Know. Then I will have to get another computer ASAP. As This computer I am writing from IS The Business Computer for our historical Arms and Armour business.

Thank you for any help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice