Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor Grayed Out

789 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  debodun 
#1 · (Edited)
Today when I booted up, the Dell fat-panel monitor connected to my desktop computer, it just showed a gray screen. I tried turning the monitor it off and on several times. Sometimes after power up it showed horizontal lines with gray background or vertical lines, sometimes blocks of pastel color, but no desktop. Good thing I kept my old CRT monitor. I hooked that up and it works fine (using same power cord). I don't have another computer with which to test the flat panel screen. I did, however, plug in the flat panel to another outlet and it looked okay.

I have not changed anything. Attached is a screenshot of my hardware setup. Is this more likely a problem with the computer or the monitor itself? Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you use the same cable to connect the CRT Monitor to the PC ? If not try a different cable with the Dell Monitor.
If that doesn't help the Dell Monitor is probably faulty but try it on another PC if possible. Maybe a friends ?

#7 ·
I lugged out my old desktop that is a Windows 98 system. The flat panel monitor worked with that one. I re-connected the flat panel to my current computer again and it's working (for now). Could have been a temporary glitch. Thanks for your respose.

#8 ·
Sounds like your connector pins were dirty or a wire in the cable not making a good connection.. Unusual to have a captive cable on a flat screen.

#10 ·
The flat screen monitor has been good for a few weeks, now it's acting up again. Yesterday as soon as the desktop appeared, it started getting horizontal line near the bottom right corner, then slowly grayed out. I did the troubleshooting - swapping an old CRT monitor in place of it, then hooking up the FP monitor to an old desktop. The FP worked there. I swapped the FP back to my current system and it worked about three hours and started to gray out again. Now I'm back on the CRT monitor. Here is a photo of what the FP screen looks like and the connector.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.