1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor has no display.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by billoo, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billoo

billoo Thread Starter

A friend of mine installed his windows 98 just a few days back. Everything worked ok for a few days. Now he has a problem that may or may not be related to windows. When he boots his computer there is no display on his monitor screen. The monitor screen remains black and light beside the on/off button is slightly green and blinks continiously. He has checked his wirings and connections and says all is okay.
    I want to help but cannot because I know very little about monitors so I will be thankful to anyone who suggests something so that I could pass the information over to him. thanks.
    It is an analog monitor from compaq.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the monitor EVER show anything on screen at all? First thing; because its the easiest is to try the monitor on another computer or another monitor on his computer.

Does the computer ever beep when its starting? It should beep once if the POST/BOOT is successful. If its not it won't beep or beep a series of beep codes. These usually relate to the Video Card or RAM. This would be the next step if the monitor is not at fault or if the computer beeps multiple times - reseat the RAM and/or video card in the slots. If you have more then one stick, then try one at a time.

3. billoo

billoo Thread Starter

Thanks triple6 for the info. Now I have something to suggest . It is late night here so I will contact him tormorrow and and pass this information. I will try to listen to the beeps and set his rams again in the slots. He has onboard graphics therefore there is no seperate card for graphics.
    thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice