1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lopro66, Aug 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lopro66

lopro66 Thread Starter

Hi. I'm looking to buy a monitor for my ps4 instead of a tv as I can only get one as big as 29". What I need to know is if I just get a monitor can I plug my usb hard drive in to watch films? Obviously when you plug it into a tv you get a menu. Just not sure if a monitor would do that. Thanks in advance.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The only USB ports I have ever seen on a computer monitor were ports for a built-in USB hub and they did not have anything to do with what is displayed on the screen. You would need to check the specifications of any specific monitor you are considering.

3. lopro66

lopro66 Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply. If I have a media player such as a sumvision cyclone 4 that is connected with hdmi do you have any idea if that would work? Thanks

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Any USB connectivity will be made to the PS4, not the monitor. Monitors don't have the ability to read/play/use USB devices. As noted above, they are simply a hub, and need to be connected to a USB source (such as a PC USB port).

The media player should work, however, unless the monitor has built in speakers that will use HDMI as a source, you will have video and no audio.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The PS4 does have a media player that can play video and music files having certain formats stored on USB flash drives and USB hard drives.

https://www.playstation.com/en-in/g...eatures/using-the-playstation-4-media-player/

EDIT: The playstation.com page does not mention it, but I have found information on other sites that indicate the PS4 can only recognize USB drives formatted with exFAT or FAT32 file systems. An NTFS formatted drive would not work.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  6. cornemuse

cornemuse

Your monitor have hdmi input?

I have this: (Micca mplay hd--Dont get micca speck!!)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DKYT74?tag=mygapa-20

It works well, (2½") usb hdds, micro sd card (sd card via usb card reader), recognizes a lot of different formats, , , ,

3½" usb hdds, you need a seperate power supply for it.

I use mine with 28" tv & 24" & 27" monitors

-c-

7. lopro66

lopro66 Thread Starter

Ok thanks everyone. I might just get a monitor with 2 hdmi ports to connect ps4 and media player. Thanks again. Great help

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice