1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RYAN C, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RYAN C

RYAN C Thread Starter

well guys i just got a new well 2002 literally never used/turned on once by me custom built computer.but it all fires up except the monitors i plug it in and start the computer and the tower beeps repeatedly every 3 seconds for however long its on, and the monitor light flashes orange as if it were in idle, and when i unplug the cable into the computer the monitor says check cable signal, thats more than i get when its plugged in all i recieve is a black window.its one of the motherboards that you have to put everything in a slot for it to work such as, video card, sound card, mouse port,keyboard port etc.. ive tried 2 cards for this computer and still no go.does anyone have a solution or any ideas on what i can do. thanks
    btw the hard drive is a seagate 8.3gbyte what does that mean?lol im not to great with computers. and it is an AMD.
    right now im stuck using my crappy emachine hoping you guys can help me out

2. norton850

norton850

Welcome to TSG

So is this the first time you've really tried turning it on and has it ever worked? What is the patterm of those 3 beeps (eg all long, all short or some combination of long and short)?

3. RYAN C

RYAN C Thread Starter

thanks for the welcome... ahh there all about 2 seconds long never shorter never longer and i did start it once and the monitor did work but ever since i guess it hasnt ive tried several times since and i just kept getting the problem and said forget it but now that its mine i wanna fix it...
    thanks

4. norton850

norton850

Try reseating all your memory chips. How many are there?

5. RYAN C

RYAN C Thread Starter

i dont know what that is. if you can show me a pic of it ill look right now the comps next to me

6. norton850

norton850

This link talks about inserting different types of RAM

RAM

At the very bottom of the page there is a link that says "view all pictures" and that should be helpful also

7. RYAN C

RYAN C Thread Starter

only 1

8. norton850

norton850

Did you make sure it's fitting ok?

9. norton850

norton850

Did you make sure it's fitting ok? How many slots do you have overall and which slot is the RAM chip in?

10. brite750

brite750

your not getting a video signal so pull all your cards except for your video, unplug your drives, (hard drive, cdrom, floppy, etc.) so you have just your power supply, motherbord/cpu with hsf/ram, see if you can get to your bios at least.

11. RYAN C

RYAN C Thread Starter

well now that the monitors working i get it running and it says floppy disc fail (40)
    primary master hard disc fail

so i switched a hard disc from another computer and now it only says floppy disc fail (40)
    and stays there.. now i dont know what to do once again

btw thanks for the monitor help

12. winbob

winbob

Check the Power cable and the ribbon cable going to the Floppy Drive. Make sure that the connections are secure at BOTH ends.

If the the light on the Floppy Drive is on constantly, then the Ribbon Cable is plug is flipped over the wrong way. Unplug it from the drive,turn it over and replug it.

Some cable plugs are Keyed and can not be plugged in wrong some are not. If the plug is keyed and the light is constantly on, check the motherboard end...it may be reversible...and be reversed. :confused:

(Brite, have you been sharing SNOW with Norton???) :D

13. brite750

brite750

Oh I got SNOW alright

14. norton850

norton850

brite

Always wondered where you live. I grew up in Penfield.

15. RYAN C

RYAN C Thread Starter

well i put a new floppy in and now it says primary hard disc fail..i dont know what to do

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice