1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Image Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hunterm, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hunterm

hunterm Thread Starter

If the background on the monitor screen is anything other than white, the images and text appear with a light green color around the edges. If the background is white, everything is normal. I've degaussed, moved speakers away and replaced the video card, also tried another working monitor but no change.
    Any suggestions on what is causing this and anything I can do to rectify this annoying problem?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Have you gone to system properties & updated your display
    drivers?

3. hunterm

hunterm Thread Starter

Yep, updated drivers and changed VGA cable. I thought this would have been an easy problem to rectify but it has become very frustrating.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Did you update the monitor drivers?

it might be the BIOS is in need of flashing.

What is the computer etc... give us the details

also right click in an empty area on the desktop & go to properties & check the refresh rate... set it for default if it isn't already.If it is..set it on optimize.

I had the same problem on my old pc... I could never get it straightened out. Im sure I probably needed a new video card.
    I had flashed the BIOS & everything.( HP brand )

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi hunterm

Best thing to do is try the monitor on a different system and see if the problem stays with the monitor. Reread the post and saw that you already tried a different monitor. Boot into safe mode (which uses different drivers). If the problem is still there in safe mode I would strongly suspect the video card is bad.

6. hunterm

hunterm Thread Starter

Tried all the above suggestions without success. Maybe I should have a cocktail (or two) to see things a little different :) I really hate being defeated by such a stupid thing.

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well you have replaced all the hardware. Does the display look ok in safe mode? Make sure that the monitor cord is straight (not coiled up) and not near any other power cords. That's all I can think of.

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Oh I missed that too where you tried another monitor....

Gee, I don't know.... but I'll be trying to find out.

Question: Did you check your pins on the connnection for damages?

Ok .. another thing...as I stated before I also had this trouble w/ my old HP PC.. I updated all the drivers... monitor & display adapter.... plus I flashed the BIOS... the color was still ghosting in blue... but I was able to work around it for the most part.. I right clicked on the desktop & went to properties... (it was an ATI display adapter by the way.) there was a place in properties where they showed a display where you could manually change the colors while watching them on a picture... ( somewhat like the TV's peacock color tester.) there was also a string biased across a box... you can pull a curve in the string on red, blue, & green.... Thats how I worked around the blue finally. but was hard on my eyes just the same... text was fuzzy looking. But maybe if you have this option you can make it workable for a while.

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You said you flashed the BIOS???? Im wondering bout the mobo now.

10. swwelsh

swwelsh

A failing video card seems most likely, but you might try different sccreen resolutions or changing the refresh rate. Any new cards in the system, or new high powered devices on the same household circuit?

11. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

12. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Could be a problem with one of the monitor's color amplifiers circuits or a bad cable

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice