1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor in test mode, no lights on keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lambo1, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lambo1

lambo1 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 7000, P4, 256RAM, etc. System is a couple of years old running Windows ME. System is used for gaming, internet, email, and that's about it. Just did a complete system restore which was successful. System has a 64MB video card, (not sure of specifics), and in the past when in intense game, computer will kick me out of the game and back into Windows. Was downloading 16MB of upgrades last night, and gaming at the same time. System kicked me out, only this time the monitor was blank, and all the keyboard lights are dead. Have tried rebooting several times, unplugged and reconnected everything. System powers up, HD light, CD, etc. light up, but monitor is in self test mode and says that the monitor is OK, check the video cable and computer, and keyboard lights are still dead.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Could be a power supply issue. Can you disconnect hard drive, cd, floppy, anything that needs power, then try to start up. Do you get beeps of any sort?

3. lambo1

lambo1 Thread Starter

Thanx for the quick response. I hear all the fans running, lights on the PC itself including powerswitch, HD, CD, etc. At first I thought video card, but I don't think that would effect the keyboard. Maybe motherboard??

4. ~Candy~

Start disconnecting things. Even unplug the keyboard, see if you can get a keyboard error message, or something.....any beeps?

5. lambo1

lambo1 Thread Starter

I'm at work now, so I can't access the system. Last night I did unplug everything... If I am remembering right I wasn't getting any beeps. I may try my system restore discs again. I am trying to avoid a trip to the repair shop, but the more I research this the more I might have to go down that road. Just for peice of mind. What is the ballpark for a new motherboard for a system like this, a couple hundred dollars??

6. ~Candy~

Probably a little less if you don't need the cpu. I picked up a P4 2.4 motherboard combo for $189 a few months ago......

Also check the ram module(s) to be sure it/they are secure in slot(s). Be sure video card is secure too.

7. lambo1

lambo1 Thread Starter

thanx for the feedback. I will tear into it tonight, make sure everything is secure, try the restore discs, etc. At that point I guess I won't have an option but to head for a service center. Any recommendations in regards to repair. Comp USA has been suggested. I called them and 100.00 covers diagnostics and all labor, is that unreasonable?

8. ~Candy~

Man I hate giving opinions on stores, as we all know what is said about those :D I don't like CompUSA in general, I think their help stinks, they are getting their butt kicked by Fry's, Office Depot, Office Max, BestBuy, etc. Not to mention that when Carlos Slim bought them out, I lost big $$ on my stock :mad: :mad:

However, I wouldn't recommend BestBuy techs either. I'd try to opt for a well respected mom and pop shop first unless you have some tech savvy friends.

Just my two Mexican centavos ;)

BTW, when you tear into it, you might consider hooking it up outside of the case with just video, one ram, motherboard, cpu and power supply to see if you can't get some beeps out of it. It helps to have the little speaker at the bottom of the case plugged in too :D I guess you used to hear beeps prior, so that shouldn't be an issue unless you disconnected it by mistake ;)

9. Hiltz

Hiltz

Hi, I'm having a problem with my computer too lol.
    Anyway, I did get my custom computer put together by Comp USA for $100. It took about 2 weeks and they told me it should only take up to 3 days. On top of that they called me twice letting me know that my motherboard seems to be fryed. I got the other call from them a few days later apoligizing for the condition of my motherboard, it was fine, one of the guys who was working on it was a newbie and didn't fully realize what was wrong. I think no matter where you decide to go to get a computer serviced or built it would most likely cost $100 everywhere, good luck on ur computer issue.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice