1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor is 640x480 can't change

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Liz, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

The computer is an old Dell and running windows 98se. The monitor is set at 640x480 and it cannot be changed using the usual methods. The colors is set at 16. I tried to do a scan to download the proper driver using a toolkit advertised on the net and that wouldn't work because the tool kit requires 600x800 to scan. I tried a different scan with a different tool kit and that totally froze up the computer. I think I need GelForce2 but I'm not sure and I can't find that version (2) anywhere. It seems that anything relating to 98se is obsolete and impossible to find. I'm still looking for a driver for the HP deskjet printer 712c and I can't find that either. Frustrating.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try belarc.com - see if this will run and provide a configuration for the video card
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

it may be that, that is the best the monitor will do - depends on how old really

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  4. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

The list of printers on the Dell that are recognized is quite long, but of course this particular printer is not on the list. Concerning the monitor, it was fine before my daughter started deleting things and it was 600x800.. I think she deleted a graphic driver and I think it was GelForce 2. It was a lot worse, but I managed to get most of it back. When I started working on the computer, nothing worked. At least now she can get on the internet and do a few things. Before she couldn't do anything, but we aren't there yet. Thanks...

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    If its a dell
    On the back of the PC you should have a TAG number , you can then use that to go onto the dell website and get all the drivers

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice