1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor is flicking itself on and off like crazy!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ravaa, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ravaa

Ravaa Thread Starter

My monitor is just spazzing out, and I have no idea why. In fact I know it's not the monitor that's the problem because I switched my tower with my brother's tower to see what would happen (using the same monitor), and it works perfectly fine.

Just so you guys have some background...

My computer decided to crash at one point whilst I was playing music and using MSN messenger, not even letting me bring up task manager using ctrl+alt+delete. I had to manually restart the computer, but when the startup screen came up it had a really strange graphics issue where there were sketchy lines running through the screen, and when the DOS-looking screen came up (i.e. when checking if there's anything in the CD drive) all the characters were jumbled and scattered. What's worse, Windows didn't even start up...the screen just stayed blank after the Windows load screen. I attempted Safe Mode and the same thing occurred, so I'm guessing it is a hardware issue?

Just to be sure I tried putting my computer through system recovery with the disk that was provided with the computer, and surprisingly it did take me to Windows...the part where it starts checking for hardware drivers and goes through all the stuff that it does when you recover the system...however when it said it had to test the keyboard and mouse, and the screen may flicker for a few seconds my monitor started off with its very own issue. I waited at least 10 minutes, and it didn't stop.

When I restart the computer the same jagged lines and jumbled characters appear, so it seems the system recovery didn't really do much.

If someone could help me out here and tell me what's going on and how I could fix it, it'd be much appreciated. If anything, I would really like to save the documents on my computer (just when I was about to back up the thing, this all happens :rolleyes:), so if anyone knows a nifty way of doing that that'd be appreciated too.

Cheers!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As it happens during the Boot process, before any drivers are loaded, I would have serious concerns about the video card itself. It could well be a hardware failure in the card.

3. Ravaa

Ravaa Thread Starter

Would there be any way of saving the documents on my hard disk, short of buying a new video card?

Thanks.

4. Celancelot

Celancelot

well, i guess it's a hardware issue.. have you check your video card fan is properly working?
    just check it out.. assuming it's working, find another video card and test it..

-Lancelot

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Does your motherboard have "on board video" or a separate video card?

Please remember you are asking for advice on the hardware, but have not even given the slightest clue as to what the hardware actually is yet.

6. Ravaa

Ravaa Thread Starter

I believe it's an ATI Rage 128mb card, i.e. separate. I just tried blowing out the dust in the fans with canned air...but no luck, it's still all jumbly at start-up and won't load Windows.

I've had this card for a while now (as you can probably tell from the model :p), and getting a new card would mean getting a new motherboard entirely because of the slot itself. Since it seems likely that this can only be fixed with a new card, I may as well try and save what I have.

Unless you peeps think I can rescue my card, do you know of any ways to retrieve stuff from the hard disk without it needing to go to windows?

Thanks again.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Only other way to do that woulkd be to slave the hard drive to another pc's master drive and copy off what you need,

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That is a pretty common card. I have a few lying around myself. Why would you need a new motherboard when you could just replace the card. Certainly be a lot cheaper.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah I really didn't understand that either. If you cannot find one, there are plenty on eBay.

10. Ravaa

Ravaa Thread Starter

Ah yeah, d'oi >.< Thanks for the heads-up...I must've been unconsciously trying to get rid of the thing ;)

Thanks all!

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Hopefully that helps point you to a relatively less expensive solution that doing something like replacing the motherboard.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice