1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Is Giving A "No Signal" Error?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aaron42491, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron42491

Aaron42491 Thread Starter

Hello Tech Support Guys,

I have ran into quite the problem. So here's the back story... So for awhile now I have had this Graphics Card (AMD ATI Radeon HD 4600) and recently my brother gave me a HDTV that supports VGA. As well as my monitor only supports VGA and DVI. For awhile now I have been connecting my monitor via VGA to the Graphics Card, and everything has been running smootly... But last night, I decided to do something I didn't think wouldn't work out. I hooked my Graphics Card up to my HDTV and it worked, but the resolution was very bad, but that is not the issue. The issue at hand is the fact that now when I try to plug the same VGA Cable into my Graphics Card I get a "No Signal" from my Monitor and then it looks like it goes to sleep. But if I am to remove the VGA Cable from my Monitor to my TV it seems to work.

I have a couple of ideas in which this could be affected by:
    1. The first time I unplugged my Monitor to hook my VGA to my HDTV, the computer was still on, hence the operating system.
    2. The Graphics Card may have set the Default Display as the HDTV, and won't revert back.

I have tried to restart plenty of times, go into Windows Low Resolution mode, resetting the RAM (Memory), when plugged into the TV changed the resolution back down to the resolution that the monitor can display.

I have a feeling I am going to have to go into BIOS to change the default Display, but I don't know how to do that, nor do I know how to fix the issue.

I know it's not a problem with my graphics card, seeing as I can still hook up to my HDTV, but I cannot get the display from the monitor.

This is not good at all for me, seeing as I work from home, can anyone please help me!?

You guys are good at what you do, so I am putting my faith into you.

I am also running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit),
    Link To Graphics Card: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk.../Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4600-specifications.aspx

Thank you so much for the future help,
    I know you will be able to help,
    Thanks again,
    Aaron

2. pip22

pip22

"I have a feeling I am going to have to go into BIOS to change the default Display"

There's nothing in the BIOS settings related to the default display. The only display setting in there is related to the on-board integrated graphics adapter where applicable, and that's just to enable or disable it. Some systems with integrated graphics don't even have that because enable/disable is done automatically when an add-on graphics card is detected or removed.

Have you tried re-installing the graphics driver with Windows running in low-res VGA mode?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice