1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor issue - please advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flpompano, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flpompano

flpompano Thread Starter

Hi, my dad has an old Dell monitor that has vertical white lines and the screen is squished left and right. The hard disc seems to be working ok. If I turn it on and move a window left and right, the window looks like it's passing a convex glass to a normal glass and then back to convex. Left and right side of monitor are distorted but the middle seems fine. Is this a video card problem? If so, how much will it cost to replace?

Thank you guys!

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

well plug the monitor to a graphics card if you have one and then later on into defalt mobo graphics if same issue then its the monitor, to test that you need to plug that to a lappy/pc
    video cards fromm 20 quid to 500 !!

3. flpompano

flpompano Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Daz.

I don't have graphics card or mobo graphics. I have a laptop but it runs on Windows 7 while my dad's desktop is a Windows XP. Will it work? How can I instruct to run his desktop rather than my laptop?

What do you mean by 20 quid to 500?

4. daz1

daz1 Banned

Is this a video card problem? If so, how much will it cost to replace?

took it was video card you meant graphics card and how much was relating to graphics card

try plugging monitor to lap[top

5. flpompano

flpompano Thread Starter

I have no idea what the problem is.

If I plug his Windows XP desktop into my Windows 7 laptop, will it damage mine because of different operating systems? And, how can I instruct my laptop to run his and not mine?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice