1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rebster40, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rebster40

Rebster40 Thread Starter

Whenever I boot up my computer the screen will turn on for a second, then go black, but the power light stays on. While it goes through the BIOS screens, Window screens, etc...it will keep flashing on every time it reaches a new screen, but instantly goes black again. It also makes a very slight beeping sound coming from the back of it. I tried shining a flashlight to see a dull image, but I don't see anything. What could this be, and is it worth replacing or just buying a new monitor? Thanks!

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried another Monitor ??
    I saw something similar to this when the power supply for the Florescent backlight in the monitor went bad.

3. Rebster40

Rebster40 Thread Starter

Yes, I plugged in another monitor and it works just fine, so its definitely the monitor that's the issue. I'm just not sure if its the backlight, inverter, or something else. I've never heard a monitor make the low beeping sound that it's making from the back. You can barely hear it.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Check to see if it's still in warranty ... Mine were.
    I've had to send 3 monitors back for warranty because of the short life of Florescent backlights ... Or supply issues
    My next monitors will be LED backlit

5. Rebster40

Rebster40 Thread Starter

I got it from a friend who is wanting me to look at it. I don't think its under warranty, but I'll ask. I've taken apart a few laptop LCD's, but never replaced any of the parts. If it isn't worth the time or money to replace, then I'll just recommend him buy a new monitor. Thank you. :p

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not worth fixing. If it's not covered under warranty, replace it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!