Monitor Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SuziLynne

My flat-screen monitor died, and I borrowed one from my old computer until I could get a new flat-screen. Now, my computer isn't recognizing the new flat-screen and won't let me use any display settings other than for the old monitor. How do I remove the old monitor information, or force my computer to recognize the new flat screen?

DoubleHelix

Banned
What does "isn't recognizing" mean? When you connect it and turn on the computer, do you see anything at all on the screen? If so, what? Then what happens?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Was your old flat-screen monitor a square style?

Is your new flat-screen monitor a wide-screen style?

---------------------------------------------------------

SuziLynne

By not recognizing, I mean that when I go into my display properties, it still shows the old monitor and I can't change the settings on the new monitor. The old monitor was one of those monstrous monitors from the early '90s, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series. My new monitor is an Acer, only 15 inches, and flat screen, but not wide screen. I can see everything on the new monitor, I just can't change the display properties, and I'm stuck on 1027 X 768 resolution. That means my web pages don't fit the screen, and games that I play are not displaying correctly.
I have thought about uninstalling the drivers for the old monitor, but am afraid to lose what I do have.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I assume you mean the resolution is 1024x768. That's probably the maximum resolution for an old 15" 4:3 ratio LCD. If you want a higher resolution, you need a better monitor.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
As cheap as flat-screen monitors are nowadays, you should've bought at least a 19" model. :eek:

There's no "drivers" to uninstall for a monitor. Make sure you're not getting that confused with drivers for the computer's display adapter/video card.

Have you done a scan at Windows Updates? It may detect your new monitor and have an INF file to install for it.

DoubleHelix

Banned
The monitor is clearly used since 15" 4:3 LCDs aren't currently being manufactured. The maximum resolution for a 15" monitor is 1024x768. Anything higher and you'll need a magnifying glass to read the text.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The monitor is clearly used since 15" 4:3 LCDs aren't currently being manufactured. The maximum resolution for a 15" monitor is 1024x768. Anything higher and you'll need a magnifying glass to read the text.
Yep. When I had one that small over 10 years ago, I couldn't use a resolution higher than 800 X 600.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online