1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rudewarrior, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rudewarrior

rudewarrior Thread Starter

Got a monitor issue, and I'm wondering if anyone could maybe narrow down what the problem is a little bit.

After my computer has been on for a little while, the screen will intermittently jump left and right, maybe a pixel or two. It will do it two or three times then stop, then do it again a little while later. Has a tendency to get visually annoying. The monitor is a Gateway 2000 EV700.

Any suggestions? I know this is rather open ended, but I'm hoping to narrow down the issue to a certain area at least.

Thanx in advance.

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Its probably the monitor. Can you test the monitor out on a friends PC or try a different monitor on your pc? Then you can be sure where the problem is. If the problem follows the monitor its probably best to buy a new one as repairs inside a monitor are dangerous due to the high voltages inside and you can probably buy a new one for what it costs to have a monitor repaired.

3. Steppinstone

Steppinstone

I have the same monitor. Is it more like a flicker on the either the right and left bottom corner of the screen? I also get a slight flicker in the desktop icons every so often. Mine has been doing it for quite some time so I am quite interested if anyone has any clues to this too.

Chari

4. rmay635703

rmay635703

EV700's have a lot of issues as they age, more than likely you have some horizontal drive caps getting "weak"

Live with it as long as you can, hopefully it doesn't get worse more quickly as it ages more.

Sometimes "bumping" the internal dial controlling hpos can fix this problem (or make it worse) if your into "interal repairs".

There is a small chance that your video card is getting crapped out but that is unlikely

Do as suggested earlier and try a different monitor and see if it changes, if not you know the problem.

Cheers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice