Monitor just stays black

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kaaos

Ok, I have an older used PC with an Intel PIII. It worked fine the last time I used it about 2yrs ago.

I plugged it in this weekend, and it powered on but it did not give me a picture at all not even a post. The screen just stayed black. monitor is not the problem, I used the one I have hooked up to my current system, in fact all cables mouse and keyboard were from my new system.

Would a bad hard drive cause it to not give a picture? Wouldn't I at least see the CPU post on screen?

my first thought was that I had a bad video card so I swapped it out from my new pc to test but same problem, no picture.

before I swap out the motherboard for a spare AMD I have, is there anything else I should try?

thanks in advance

kaaos

forgot to mention that when the pc powers on, the hard drive does not make that "crackling noise" that a hard drive makes when a good boot happens.

and im running XP Pro on it

maybe it's not posting.. do you hear the fans going and a beep (which indicates POSTing). make sure you have all the necessary components and nothing extra to begin with and that they are all connected securely.

kaaos

yeah the fans are going. i dont have a speaker on the MB. so it won't beep. I also tried booting with Boot magic and Ultimate Boot disk and XP disk with no luck. i may just try installing a the spare MB i have

i would also go over each component as well.. if you have only one HD, make sure it's set to master (or if cable select that it's connected to the end connector). cdrom should be slave or cable select if on the same cable. Sometimes a bad HD will cause it to not POST.. but there's a lot of other things that could cause it to not POST.

kaaos

Thanks for the reply. I will dbl check the cable orientation when i get home.(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online