1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor keeps cutting off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grovecity123, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grovecity123

grovecity123 Thread Starter

When I turn on my computer my desktop goes into a horizontal hold problem and the monitor cuts off. I can't click on anything or do anything but turn the computer off and try again. Usually the same things happens again. I didn't use the computer for two days and was able to get on so I ran a virus scan. Nothing was detected but I swear it must be a virus. Is it the pc tower, the monitor, or a virus that's causing the problem and how can I fix it since I can't click on anything?

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

So it worked and you ran a virus scan..... why can't you click on anything?

CRT or LCD monitor?
    How old is the monitor?
    Have you tried a different monitor?
    Meanwhile, i'll try and think of more questions about your monitor....... :)

3. grovecity123

What I'm saying is the problem comes and goes. I'm having the problem right now and I have a feeling it may be here to stay now. I held down F8 when I rebooted but with the screen rolling like a slot machine and then cutting off I can't even get to safe mode. Is there a way to do a system restore if your monitor won't work right (assuming it's not the monitor's fault)? I don't want to buy a new monitor until I try a system restore. I think it's a CRT and it is older than the tower, maybe seven years old. It seemed to work like new until this happened.

4. grovecity123

Oh yeah, can I use one of my laptops to act like a monitor? I was going to try a tv but I don't think I have the right plug-ins to do it.

5. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Yeah, that's kind of what I assumed.
    Could very well be the end of the road for that old soldier.

As I said, try a different monitor on your system if you can and also try your monitor on a problem-free system if available, to verify the problem.

The monitor may be fixable.
    See if you can get a free diagnosis somewhere, but obviously don't spend any more that say a fifth of the price of a new monitor on a repair (a new monitor is a much better investment unless it's a simple and obvious fault).

(No, you can't use a laptop as a monitor unfortunately)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice