Monitor linked to laptop keeps going blank

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Brokeniguana

I have an older Dell ST2420L monitor linked to a newer Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 via a VGA cable (I don't think the screen supports HDMI) using the option to transfer the screen output to the monitor for an easier-to-see output. However the monitor keeps going blank with varying frequency for about a second before restoring to the point of making it hard to watch videos/films (DVD/Netflix). The picture also shudders slightly. I've asked Lenovo and Microsoft support about this with no working solution. I can scale the resolution down but if I only do that slightly the effect is the same and if I make it small enough to stop blanking it only covers about 1/3 of the screen.

In the process of typing this the screen has gone blank a number of times so please excuse typos as sometimes I'm typing blind (no screen).

bobs-here

Bob
I have an older Dell ST2420L monitor linked to a newer Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 via a VGA cable (I don't think the screen supports HDMI)
I would have expected it to support the hdmi cable, check it out for sure.
also, see if energy saving mode in power settings is being use. toggle the settings, to see if this makes a difference. swapping the vga cable might narrow things down a little.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online