Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitor no longer supports resolution 1920X1080

3K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  DreamTech 
#1 ·
My problem :
It all started from when I unplugged my HP w2338h monitor from my main PC (res. 1920x1080, specs listed below) into a raspberry pi 3. After using the monitor for the Raspberry PI 3, I plugged it back into my main PC again, and to my surprise the resolution was on 1024x724.

When I go into the advanced display settings, the only resolution options are 1024x724 & 800x600

What I tried to fix this (but didn't work):
  1. Tried restarting
  2. Reinstalling video drivers
  3. Factory reset on monitor
  4. Creating a custom resolution using the NVIDIA control panel
    1. Kinda works but its blurry, so not quite. (also I shouldn't have to do this).
  5. updating monitor drivers (it says everything is already up to date)
  6. HP My Display tool (found under the software section under HP support for my monitor)
    1. Says it ran into an error and fails to run.
  7. replacing the HDMI cable
What I didn't try & why:
  1. uninstalling the monitor drivers manually.
    1. I did not do this because in order to reinstall the monitor drivers I need the CD that came with the monitor, which I no longer have.
  2. Playing around with the BIOS (HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI).
    1. I "tried" doing this, but It appears the bios display is corrupted? There's a bunch of graphics misplaced and random letters displayed across the screen.
    2. Maybe I need to flash the bios or update it? I've never done this before and am afraid I might cause more damage.
Other possibly useful observations/info:
  1. Bios display appears to be corrupted (pic included)
  2. when booting: a black screen with codes A2 c9 appear. (this doesn't last longer. approx. 3secs)
  3. The MSI krait snake graphic when booting is visibly zoomed in on and cutoff. (probably b/c its 1024x724). (pic included)
  4. The SDD has both Winows 10 and Linux Mint and is configured for duo boot. (defaults to windows 10 unless specified otherwise.)
Thank you for taking the time to read my problem and help me with this issue.
I greatly appreciate it!!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16332 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 387 GB (127 GB Free);
Motherboard: MSI, Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I assume you didn't accidentally plug the monitor into the integrated graphics port instead of the dedicated Geforce card?

Does the same thing happen if you remove the GTX 970 and use the integrated graphics?

Does the same thing happen when you use VGA cable?

#3 ·
No, I didn't accidentally plug the monitor into the other port.

When, I remove the GTX 970, and plug it into the hdmi port, it does not recognize the monitor. (black screen)

I have not tested VGA cable because I don't have one at the moment, but I will update the thread once I have tested it.

#9 ·
Sorry about the late update, but I tried to connect my monitor to my laptop and It wouldn't recognize the monitor for some reason. However I did get my hands on a VGA cable and the resolution works perfectly!! It is back to 1920x1080. So something about the HDMI port on the monitor is loose or corrupted? and if it is how can I fix it? (Theres nothing wrong with HDMI port on the GPU b/c I was able to plug in another monitor in the same port and it retained all its resolution settings).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.