1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor No Signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KuRsAnI, Jul 14, 2017 at 5:12 PM.

Advertisement
  1. KuRsAnI

KuRsAnI Thread Starter

Hello,

Today, my computer's monitor wouldn't show any signal. My computer seems to work fine since the Windows 10 music plays after boot. I tried another monitor and another DVI wire with no results. I'm starting to think the problem's with my GPU. What should I do?

My computer's around 5 years old and it's a custom built desktop. I don't know the specs since I can't plug a monitor that works on it.

2. Sponsor

3. replay

replay

does it have "onboard graphics" if so pull the video card out and connect to the video connector to the onboard....see if u get a display

4. KuRsAnI

KuRsAnI Thread Starter

great idea, will try

EDIT: thank you replay! I plugged my monitor to my motherboard and i got a display. Does it mean my GPU is dead? How should I proceed with it?

5. replay

replay

try it on a different computer (family....friends) and see if get a signal
    if not....is it in warranty?????

6. KuRsAnI

KuRsAnI Thread Starter

News update: i didn't hook up my old GPU to another computer to see if it works. I just used a spare GPU from my brother and it was sufficient for my graphic needs. However, 5 minutes ago, upon trying to open the computer, my screen stayed black even if I switched between my new GPU and the integrated motherboard graphics. Wtf is going on?

7. replay

replay

What do u mean by this
    U were taking off the side panel then no video???

8. KuRsAnI

KuRsAnI Thread Starter

I mean I tried to boot the computer and no signal. I plugged my DVI cable on my GPU and my motherboard graphics and no signal.

9. replay

replay

Take the graphic card out
    Then connect to the onboard video
    Like last time

10. KuRsAnI

KuRsAnI Thread Starter

I tried plugging my screen to the onboard video with no results this time (without unplugging my 2 GPUs, is that even necessary?)

11. replay

replay

12. KuRsAnI

KuRsAnI Thread Starter

Alright it worked again on the onboard graphics, but why is it not working with my 2 other GPUs?

13. replay

replay

what is the make/model of the power supply and motherboard

14. replay

replay

u have 2 gpu's installed or one

15. KuRsAnI

KuRsAnI Thread Starter

my PSU is Seasonic 100-240VAC

My motherboard is P8Z68-V Pro

I had two GPUs installed (the first one was the one I had a problem with originally, the second one is the spare I'm using because the first is broken)
    but now I have 0 installed because I want to use my onboard graphics

16. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to use onchip/onboard video, then yes it is necessary to pull the video card or cards out. With a real video card installed, onboard is disabled.
    Open the case and look. Just about every part ie motherboard, ram, pw supply, video card, etc, etc will have the brand and model# either silkscreened on the PCB or have a label with the relevant info.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193054