1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor not displaying

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beardedscot81, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beardedscot81

Beardedscot81 Thread Starter

Hello
    I'm new to computer tech, and just hoped that there was someone who could assist me in my dilemma,

My dell PC harddrive is working fine but all I'm getting on my monitor is a black screen with a flashing white bar in the top left corner,
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    John

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Beardedscot81, and welcome to TSG.

Make causes you to be so sure your computer's hard drive is working fine?

Am I safe to assume that your computer was working OK and now you only get the black screen with a blinking cursor (white bar)?

Does anything appear on the screen before the blinking cursor when you first turn on the computer?

What activity do you observe when you first turn on the computer? Internal self-test beeps? Keyboard LEDs blink on? Do fans start spinning?

Are you able to get into the BIOS settings on power up?

What is the full model number of your computer?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice