Monitor not displaying

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

craigo_jhb

I have a PC without AGP or PCI-E slots - only ISA (and it's a P4 - Kinda odd) it's a Gigabyte GA-8I845GB. Anyway, the monitor has stopped displaying. I swap monitors, same problem. I changed the slots, on the pc, same problem. I put the screen card in another PC, works fine. Seems to point to some sort of MB fault in my opinion, but can't narrow it down without a screen - Any idea's??

Good Evening craigo, that board has onboard graphics doesn't it?
Any reason you're not using that.
Try plugging you monitor into the mainboard video socket.
See if that works,
Qldit.

craigo_jhb

yip....apparently they bought it with this other graphics card and have always used it - I suspect there were problems with the onboard all along. I took the card out and connected to the onboard....also no luck. Keeping in mind, I've tried about 4 monitors that definately work......

Ok , does the hard drive and everything go through the motions as though they are working normally?
Or does everthing sound dead?
Is the monitor LED changing state to green at any time or remaining orange all the time?
Is the machine giving a beep as would normally be expected as the boot begins?
qldit.

craigo_jhb

Good question!!! Just tested it......No beep. The CPU fan starts spinning, the HD light and power light come on and stay on.........other than that...all I hear is PSU and CPU fan. Doesn't seem to change from that (Have been staring at it for about a minute).

The problem could be symptomatic of low power, most likely the +5 volt rail.
If this voltage is low it is common for the video to be shed and the rest of the machine appearing to work.
This would involve trying a different power supply.
I think it would be best to consider that the machine previously worked OK.

As a trial, disconnecting every unneccessary device will help to maybe give a bit more and maybe the thing might work

So disconnecting all the drives power and IDE's is a start, remove all cards that are not needed and retry.
Ensure the power lead is removed from the back of the machine anytime you work inside it. The board is otherwise powered at all times without appearing that way.
Try that.
qldit.

craigo_jhb

No change....in fact, even tried another PSU......just connected main board power and tried....

That sounds like the "Titanic" is nose down and chances are poor.
You have tried a different lead from the monitor haven't you?
If so I think you will need another motherboard.
You could try your video card in another machine and if it works the time has come to play "abide with me". Sorry old chap.
Others may have different ideas.
Cheers, qldit.

I forgot to ask if you have tried a memory stick in another machine.
It could be a problem with a shorted stick if there are multiple sticks.
qldit

craigo_jhb

I think you right - Have tried different cables, screens, etc - would like to try another card, but don't have an isa card. But, since card works in other Machine - I'm thinking a new MB is the way to go.....Thanks for all the help and your speed.

Cheers mate

Yes it has all the signs of passing, by the way the ISA card is an older one I think, I usually refer to the cards as PCI cards, as will fit yours in the three PCI slots.
I always keep a simple PCI card for testing, (actually I have about twenty or so, they keep appearing)
I suspect something on your board has failed sometimes this is associated with capacitor failures, have a look at www.badcaps.net it is interesting and common to find these failures.
Qldit.

craigo_jhb

PCI...of course....was wondering why it didn't sound right when I typed it. I just knew it was damn old......

Pity you not here so I could loan one of the 20

You could have several.
You wouldn't believe how many variations of those cards exist.
Brands, memory, heat sinks, fans, and physical sizes.
I am in Brisbane Australia and it is after 1 am so I am off to La La land.
All the best with your parts chasing.
Nice meeting you, cheers qldit.

craigo_jhb

I'm in SA, so a little far.....thanks for your help and well done in the Cricket....Although, we prefer our rugga...smile

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online