1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor not receiving signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by indyman, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. indyman

indyman Thread Starter

Hi, I have a 3 year old Dell Dimension E521 which has given me no problems whatsoever. During a boot up 2 days ago, there is suddenly no signal from the tower to a 1.5 year old flat screen monitor which I have confirmed to work on another computer. The Dell has not been moved and appears to run through start up without any problems. I have blown all of the dust from the interior and double checked the connnection which are secure. I have tried the hold the power button for 60 seconds "trick" to no avail and have also checked the cable as well. Any other ideas? Many thanks.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Does anything flash on the screen on startup?

Does this PC have a Stand alone Video card or is it using the motherboard graphics card?

3. indyman

indyman Thread Starter

the screen does not flash and the no signal "icon" appears for about 10 seconds before shutting down. the yellow standby light on the monitor does stay on but I cannot get the green light to come on. the monitor plug appears to be integrated into the mother board card and not as a stand alone card

4. Megabite

Megabite

Can you borrow a stand alone video card from someone as a test.......do all the fans spinup when you start the PC and do they keep spinning?

5. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

normally 1 of 3 things when this happens, especially if the computer still looks and sounds to be booting but nothing appears on the monitor,
    Its either your video output from your motherboard (in which case do as megabite suggests and try a stand alone video card in the system)
    or
    Your ram, try reseating all your ram chips. If you have more than 1 ram chip, try them one at a time, and/or none at all and see if you get anything on the monitor.

last and final option from the 2 above would be that your processor is fried. If it has, your best option is a new CPU, heatsinc and fan.
    Worth trying a spare CPU if you can get a hold of one just to see if it boots, but if it is the CPU, then it may have overheated and failed, so definately a new heatsinc and fan would be required aswell.

6. indyman

indyman Thread Starter

the fans do start up and keep spinning
    unfortunatly, i dont have a spare video card to test as that went to Goodwill when I donated the old family computer a couple of months ago ( i kept the hard drive and RAM cards but didnt think about the video card)

7. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Well you could certainly test the ram as 1st step. Might be an idea to try and get hold of a stand alone video card though, should be easy enough to pick one up, just to test it. you can get old working video cards many many places. No friends with old PC's with video cards still in them? second hand PC store? ebay?

Also not stating that it is, since i'd try everything else first but last 3 machines I've seen do this needed CPU replaced.

8. indyman

indyman Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions. i tested the RAM by taking out one and then both cards, restarting the machine both times. Other than a warning type beeping when both cards were removed, nothing other than the no signal icon appeared. I'll try a spare video card from a friend in hope that it is only a simple fix. Otherwise, it seems like a new computer for us since the heatsinc, fan and CPU will cost about the same as a new machine.

9. Megabite

Megabite

It usually unlikely to-be the CPU unless it has really got hot for a long time........if the stand alone Video card has no results more likely to be the Motherboard.......that is just my option.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice