1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor not responsive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buggers, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buggers

buggers Thread Starter

my computer screen remains blank when i boot up my computer

im running ubuntu

*i think the slot for the monitor is broken
    *its not the monitor

2. iwassnow

iwassnow

Check to make sure none of your pins are bent on the connectors. Take note of any beeps the system makes when you turn it on. Try verifying that the monitor works by plugging it into a different computer. Try making sure your video card is working, by plugging a different monitor into your computer.

Post back here with the results to any of that which you are capable of doing.

3. buggers

buggers Thread Starter

i hooked it up to other monitors but it dosent respond

and i think it is booting up its making those beeping sounds then it goes calm
    i think the port were you plug in the monitor is broken

and i dont think it has a video card

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/629786-monitor-port-broken.html

the port looks like the one on his computer

4. iwassnow

iwassnow

Take not of the beeping sequence if you can. For example, if it gives you 3 short beeps or 1 long beep and 2 short beeps.

If no other monitors work, you definitely have a video output problem. Tell me what those beeps are and we'll see what the exact problem is.

5. buggers

buggers Thread Starter

well i went back to it and when i started it up it made a crunching sound for 1 sec and then it stayed normal running

6. iwassnow

iwassnow

Crunching is bad. There is definitely physical hardware damage. At my level of training, all I can say is get a new machine. Someone else might be able to help you diagnos the problem further, but I can't think of anything, sorry.

7. buggers

buggers Thread Starter

Are you sure all my computers make that sound before they boot up its like a virtual crunching

8. iwassnow

iwassnow

Ok I'm a little confused. By crunching, do you mean the sound of chips being stepped on, or the sound of a hard disk spinning, which is a vibratey noise.

9. buggers

buggers Thread Starter

no i dosent sound like chips crunching

its more of the vibrating one

10. iwassnow

iwassnow

Ok, then, that's not quite as bad. That is probably your computer trying to access the HD. If you don't get beeps now, then you may need to install a different graphics card to connect the monitor with. If you just want one for web browsing and not for gaming/videos then you could probably get one for less than $50. In fact I plan on buying this one tomorrow to fix an overheating error I'm having:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2571839&CatId=318

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If there's a spot to plug in a monitor, it has a video card/adapter.
    You really haven't determined that the computer is booting. Computers make all sorts of noises: fans, BIOS beeps, hard drive read/writes, etc. A "crunching" sound isn't definitive.

Does nothing at all appear on the monitor when you boot the computer? No post screens, nothing at all? Is the monitor power light indicating it's on or in standby mode?

Has this computer ever worked with the current hardware under any operating system?

You have to answer these questions before anyone can determine if this is a video-related problem.

12. iwassnow

iwassnow

The system should still output some sort of video to the monitor regardless of the progress of the boot process. If it isn't a mainboard issue then it's the graphical output. I can't really see any other possibilities, and the mainboard is a much more expencive route ussually.

13. buggers

buggers Thread Starter

yea at one point it did work

i cant tell if its booting but on the monitor its blank and then after a few seconds it goes into standby mode

14. iwassnow

iwassnow

If your monitor isn't outputting anything at all, then there is a problem with the video output, either with your mainboard itself, or the onboard video out. If I were fixing it for you, I'd put an extra card in to test it, but I can't do that from here.

15. buggers

buggers Thread Starter

its not a motherboard or hd thing

its a vga port broken thing
    anyone know how to repair a vga port?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice