1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor not turning on; red lights on vid card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phixgrrrl, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    It's a custom build and came w/no manual for the card so I'm looking it up as I write this. What could be causing this? Its a brand new machine.
    Card is ati radeon 4890
    AMD quad core
    vista home premium
    4 gb ddr3 ram

I checked connections, cleaned some dust off the inside; the cpu temp was 38 C, HD 43C; usually they're about 35-40. I had just finished playing Silent Hill homecoming but it had no problem w/that.

2. BG-0

BG-0

Graphics card, power supply, or PCI-E 16x slot is faulty. What's the model of your power supply? Look up at the side of the unit and post the model number from the sticker.

3. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    Ok. The power supply is:
    Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 AP

I cannot even find a layout of my vid card to see what the lights mean. Before I posted the first post, I tried restarting it, which didnt work, and turned it off and on twice...it went on but no image. I didn't see the red lights again.

However I did find what the red lights mean but I have no clue as to which ones lit up that one time:
    -------------------
    HD4890 LEDs
    Diagnostic LED meanings for the HD4890 card ...

D601: VDDC_FAULT

D1601: critical temperature fault

D1602: AUX Hot Plug/Unplug Fault (upper connector)

D1603: AUX Hot Plug/Unplug Fault (lower connector)

At BOOT/POST, the card's fan will spin @ 100% for a short while and LEDs will light up for a brief period and then go out. This is NORMAL behaviour as the card is performing it's own type of POST test.

4. BG-0

BG-0

Make sure the PCI-E 6-pin power plugs are properly seated in the card...
    Then, you would want to test the card in another system with a quality power supply of 650+W range (yours is included in this category too, don't worry. Preferably don't use it in another system until you're sure it's working properly), and/or try your system with another card.

5. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I checked the pic-e's and they're in as tight as possible...so tight I cant pull them out.
    And I have no other pc to test the card in.

6. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I emailed their tech support w/the problem and am waiting.

7. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    Ok, they said to try the other pic-e slot to test the vid card, which I did, and it worked. I then tried it in the original slot and...it worked as well, BUT those red lights lit up and went off THREE times. In the 2nd slot, they went on once.
    So now I'm confused. Also, when I tried shutting it down in the original slot, it would not shut down...I just got the "Logging off" message for 20 minutes, so I forced shut it down. I'm gonna try shutting it down in the 2nd slot to see what happens. I don't know if that has anything to do w/anything tho.
    I'm thinking they should replace both the vid card and the MB. I also noticed when I boot up it seems sort of...slow, like the fans seem slow...then speed up.
    What do you think?

Edit:
    I tried playing a game, and noticed my sound wasnt hooked up (I had unplugged it earler) so I was about to put in the speaker plugs and the pc just shut down by itself. This is while the vid card was in the 2nd slot. I also touched the vid card by accident and it was burning up--I know they get hot but I'm not sure if it may be overheating.
    WTF?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/870647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice