1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor not working Wait??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elmer, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elmer

elmer Thread Starter

After I received help with an old modem and setting the IRQ and and com values, I got another problem. I found other similar threads in this category, so I put it here.

When I took the printer (not working correctly) and the modem out from the system values, when I rebooted, the monitor had no response. It sounded as if it was following the steps it had before, but the monitor had no response. I tried it on another computer and the monitor was OK. And when I tried another good monitor it did not work.

I tried removing other cards- the monitor hookup is part of the motherboard-with no luck.

As I was looking through other threads dealing with the same thing, I tried powering it up again, and it worked OK.

Is there anything I can try that might point to the problem?

Thanks for all your help

2. elmer

elmer Thread Starter

And now it is doing the same thing as before.

I was changing the resolution -as it was in safe mode- and followed instructions to reboot.

But it never did. When I cold booted, no monitor response.

Thanks for any help

3. n2gun

n2gun

It sounds like you may have to reinstall the driver for the onboard video. Also I would check their website for any updates while your at it.

4. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Make sure that if you have seated the Vid Card fully. Also if you are not getting a POST it may mean that you are having Power Supply issue. Can you hear the HDD spin up? does your CDrom and Floppy lights Blink?

5. elmer

elmer Thread Starter

To quote some great literature, it's getting curioser and curioser.

Turns out that if I unplug the the keyboard , the screen will come on. then if I plug the keyboard back in, everything is OK.

Guess it would be a good idea to find a replacement keyboard to check that out.

Thanks for all your help

6. elmer

elmer Thread Starter

Should drop back 15 yards...

If I unplug the keyboard, the second time it boots (most of the time the monitor has no response ) the monitor will come on. If I plug the keyboard in, it works OK.

Changed keyboards, does the same thing.

An earlier entry by N2Gun said

It sounds like you may have to reinstall the driver for the onboard video. Also I would check their website for any updates while your at it.

I have an NEC 9725. Have not been able to find any website for any drive or update. Anyone know if one exists for NEC?

Thanks for all your help.

7. waynegump

waynegump

8. elmer

elmer Thread Starter

I tried the site for S3graphics, but got no meaningful information when following the instructions.

Have taken all additions out of computer. If I select the restart option, it will do so OK.

But most of the time. when it starts up and there is no response to the monitor, I can unplug the keyboard, turn the power off and on, the monitor works. I plug the keyboard back in and it is as usual.

I know that I am dealing with symptoms, but if anyone recognizes this, thanks for your help.

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there elmer...

What I would try is to reseat the memory or change the memory, because it looks like you have on board video, and in most cases it shares the main memory...

The reason I say this is that I have a bad stick of memory, and every time I do a cold boot I have to reset the pc ( I also have on board video that shares the memory ), in order for the video to work, and get to the OS...

10. elmer

elmer Thread Starter

But you two cents might be anothers pot of gold

that narrows it down to 4 sticks to check. which brings up another question, Does anything exist to check memory?

The quote statement. Is that just to point out something that was stated before?

Thanks for all your help

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

What I would try is a process of elimination, remove all sticks of memory, then start adding them one at a time untill the problem reoccurs...

And...there are several software and hardware tools to test the memory ( most of them cost mega $$$ )...

I've used this one in the past, it takes a while to test each memory module ( I would try testing them one at a time ), and it proved correct results...

http://www.memtest86.com/

And...yes the quote was just to point out an observation that you sated before :)

12. elmer

elmer Thread Starter

Mr. Master

I obtained the memtest86 information. Ran it a few hours and have received no errors.

If it found no errors, should the elimination process still be followed with the Memory sticks? Or should the test have come up with something?

think I'll be on the lookout for good deals on new computers!

Thanks for all your help

13. elmer

elmer Thread Starter

When the computer starts up with no video, there are two short beeps at power up. Normal I think it is one beep.

Usually, unplugging the keyboard will allow normal power up. A while ago, when I unplugged the mouse, it allowed normal power up. And if I took out a modem that I installed, it would allow normal power up.

No doubt I am dealing with symptoms, but . .

I was reading I believe in this forum the procedures to follow to check temperature. I don't think this is a cause, but you never know. I tried a search with no luck. Maybe someone knows, or can lead me to the thread

Thanks for your help and any suggestions

14. n2gun

n2gun

Do you know what bios is in the computer? If it is AMI the 2 beeps mean a memory problem. Look on the first screen when booting in the lower left corner it may tell what it is. If not try downloading Belarc from the link below and see if it tells you what bios you have.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

15. elmer

elmer Thread Starter

Phoenix Bios ATI-264gt/a2b EDO Bios 2.224

version 4.05.m

NEC 00.01.27

That's probably more than is necessary, but that is what I hae written down.

Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice