1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A.M., Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. A.M.

A.M. Thread Starter

2nd msg with additional information:

I set my display size for my 15 inch monitor from 800X600 to the max setting of 1280 X 1024 pixels. I was prompted to re-boot and so when I did my screen went totally gray with no icons or text. I re-booted got into safe mode but the screen went gray again.

If this a monitor issue with 15 inch being too small why didn't it go back to its default setting? Should I try hooking up to larger monitor and see if that works?

My operating system is Windows Millennium. My computer is a Dell Dimension series.

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

When you said this, do you mean that the screen stayed gray in safe mode or that after safe mode it went back to gray in a normal boot?

Either way it probably has more to do with the refresh rate and/or resolution being to high for the monitor and now it's hung in limbo using a adapter setting way to high for that monitor.

If you have a larger monitor you can try it and if you get back into windows set the display settings / adapter to standard VGA 640 x 480. Shut down, replace your monitor and re-boot.

If that brings you back then go back to a reasonable 800 x 600 with 16 bit color.

3. A.M.

A.M. Thread Starter

I've determined it's not the monitor as it works fine on a different system and the gray screen appears on a different monitor hooked to the original computer.
    In answer to your question the screen is gray in safe mode and normal mode. Essentially I have no display at all. Could this be my video card causing this? If so what are the best steps to take? Thanks.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

I'm not familiar with ME but you should be able to do a scanreg /restore in ME similar to doing it with Win98. Pick a boot that was A-OK before you tried the resolution change and restore it. That should set you back to the original vid settings.

I'm assuming you can boot to the DOS prompt since you said you could boot to safe mode. In other words you aren't grayed out until Windows starts to load. Right?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice