1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor or graphics problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hahnemann, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hahnemann

hahnemann Thread Starter

Hi

I have just bought a new monitor as I assumed that my old monitor was faulty. If I try to play DVD's the picture is terrible and hazy with a sort of mottling effect across and I can't get the brightness and contrast to work properly. I installed my new monitor and have discovered that it isn't the monitor but something to do with the computer. I am running Windows XP with service pack 2 and I have tried two different video softwares but it is the same with both. I have updated the driver for my graphics card: Radeon x300/x550 but that has made no difference. I have tried altering settings in the video softwares with no success and I am now at a complete loss as to what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try next? The computer is only 7 months old.

Apologies if this isn't in the right section but I wasn't sure where would be best. With any replies could you please bear in mind that I am not that computer literate.

Many thanks
    Kerry

2. Compiler

Compiler

On all DVDs? And does it include VIDEO files (like from the net)? Check your OVERLAY settings. These should be located in Display Properties/Settings(tab)/ Advance (button) CLick on ATI - and locate a TAB that says OVERLAY. You can adust brightness, etc.

(Its worth a try)

3. hahnemann

hahnemann Thread Starter

Thanks Compiler for your reply. I have tried that and i can make it a bit brighter but the picture quality is still terrible. Can graphics cards go wrong without giving up completely?

Thanks
    Kerry

4. hahnemann

hahnemann Thread Starter

Hi Compiler

I just realised that I didn't answer all your questions. Yes it does it on all DVDs and I have never downloaded videos from the web so I don't know about that one.

Thanks
    Kerry

5. Compiler

Compiler

theres videos on youtube, Yahoo, CNN - how do THEY look? They use overlay as well.

Your problem is odd - and it shouldnt be the graphics card...

6. hahnemann

hahnemann Thread Starter

Hi

I just tried the videos on Youtube and they are even worse than my DVDs. Just my luck to have a problem that isn't easily solved! I was having a look in the Add/Remove programs section and there are two drivers listed for Nvidia: Nvidia Ethernet Driver Components and Nvidia nforce PCI System Management Driver. Would these have any effect on graphics and if so where would I find updates on the net and is it safe to remove these?

Many thanks
    Kerry

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm thinking warranty ... whats the Make n Model of the computer ??
    Did it have the same problem on the old monitor ??

8. Compiler

Compiler

be sure you understand that youtube videos are NOT DVD quality - but should look pretty good, especially the NASA spaceshuttle vids. Video card is having trouble with overlay or somethhing else.

9. hahnemann

hahnemann Thread Starter

I only have the info that I posted in the previous post on its spec. It was purchased from Spire Technology Ltd UK My previous computer that was only twelve months old, was hit by lightening and the insurance took it away and decided that it wasn't repairable and sent this replacement. I had assumed the problem previously had been because my monitor was a very old one and hadn't realised that it was down to the computer.

Kerry

10. hahnemann

hahnemann Thread Starter

I just had a look at the Nasa ones and they still look terrible.

Kerry

11. hahnemann

hahnemann Thread Starter

Looking at the writing on my screen, I have also noticed that it seems to go in sections, with some coming up the normal colour and some coming up as though it has been typed in bold. It shows up more on this forum more due to the colouring of it, but looking at other windows it is doing the same there.

Kerry

12. Compiler

Compiler

Non VIDEO windows? Can you post up a screenshot? Press the PRINT SCREEN button - then past it in a program - or at least M$ Paint. Save as a JPG

13. hahnemann

hahnemann Thread Starter

I have just tried doing that but the differences are too subtle to show up in the JPEG and all the writing looks the same in it.

Kerry

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice