1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor or Ram Problem (Dunno Which)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaminOG, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaminOG

DaminOG Thread Starter

Ok heres the situation im outta town from where this is but this is my step fathers pc and heres what happened.

i was down there for thanksgiving and when i left i gave him a ram stick (800 mhz i think) 1gb . of course i didnt know if it worked on his or not (his is a older pc). but he called me a week later and told me that when he put it in either it didnt turn on (dunno which either) or the tower turned on but the screen didnt come on and he took it out and even took out his video card and put back in but ever since then his tower will run but the monitor will not it just keeps saying "stand by mode in 5 secs" then just shuts off. does any1 know whats wrong?

2. Sponsor

3. DaminOG

DaminOG Thread Starter

ViewSonic
    Geforce Fx 5500

INFineon PC2700U-25330-A0

M with Halo Sticker over the M (dont know this brand)
    mt8vddt3264ag-265ca

Corsair Twin Cm2x1024-6400c4 <---what i gave him

Gateway (4000811) Motherboard

is what he said he could read off everything

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Ensure old RAM is where it should be and seated properly.

Try getting into BIOS and resetting it. Here, you must ensure that BIOS memory setting is set to clear, or not retain, BIOS settings. Reboot if it doesn't do so automatically.

Afterwards, go back to BIOS and change settings again, if necessary, to retain BIOS settings. If it says save to CMOS, then that is a yes.

If this cannot be achieved, remove the CMOS battery, make sure PC is unplugged and hold the power button for 30 seconds, then leave it for a couple of hours.

Replace battery, plug it in and boot.

Whenever inside a computer, if you are not equipped with anti-static gloves, touch and retain contact with the inside of the tower at all times.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sound slike not only did ram not work, but he bumped something out of place in installing it. Primary category is video card if separate so best plan would be to re seat all cables and plugs and all slotted devices.

6. DaminOG

DaminOG Thread Starter

kinda hard to do anything with the bios when nothing comes up on the screen for me too see lol. but ok when i get back down there ill reconnect everything for him.

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Do the second option then, where it says "If this cannot be achieved."

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663317