1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor-Printer Colour Calibration

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by greed, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greed

greed Thread Starter

Hi, I need to calibrate my monitors to my printer (HP designjet 130nr) to match the colour outputs. At the moment the print outs are a lot darker than on my monitor. I have been looking at calibration packages such as the Eye-One Display 2 and the Spyder3Pro. Both of which are around £150(!) and have mixed/no reviews on amazon.

Can anyone recommend and particular packages for my task? Or even any cheaper methods of calibration between the two? I have searched online and come up with little.

Thanks

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    I have a Pantone Huey, costs about £50 off eBay and it works really well. This is a really large area and there are lots of resources on the web about printing accurately BUT they all start with having a correctly profiled monitor. Once your screen accurately displays the photograph you can then get the print to match the monitor. The Huey is cheap and does the job but the Spyder is used by a lot of professionals and they recommend it. I will search out some links later and add them to this post.

3. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Radiant Vista was the site I was thinking of but unfortunately it closed last week. Here is another link that has some useful tutorial videos Colour Managemant

4. greed

greed Thread Starter

excellent! thanks, i will watch those vids and post back when I get it sorted.

5. greed

greed Thread Starter

Well I've just ordered the eye-one display 2. Should come Monday hopefully! I'd looked at the Huey one and there were a lot of bad reviews saying people had got faulty ones which miss calibrate and then waited months for replacements. I'd rather just get something a bit more reliable personally. I watched the first vid so just got to wait for the product now to begin!

6. greed

greed Thread Starter

ok my i1 display 2 came and i calibrated the 2 monitor. the 24" manged to calibrate easily while the 22" wouldn't get the colours in the range it wanted... still measured correctly and balanced the two equally. Installed the xp color profile manager too.

PROBLEM HOWEVER: I opened ATI catalyst and the profile changed or something when it loaded and now both my screens look pink. I closed it down and checked back on the profile manager and the correct profiles are still there. Why has it changed?! After fiddling around setting it to a different profile and then back i got my secondary monitor back to normal but the primary is still stuck on pink! I loaded a game and the profiles changed back to pink again! How can i stop them changing? and why doesn't it say it has been changed when it clearly has!

7. greed

greed Thread Starter

and another thing, i try and change the profile on the 22" monitor settings and the 24" one changes instead! this is ridiculous it shouldn't be this complicated to set and save 1 profile for each monitor!

8. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Sorry I am afraid that I don't have any definitive suggestions for you. It seems as though the ATI software is over-riding the calibrated display. One thing you could try is copying your ATI profiles to another location on your hdd as a back up. Then copy the calibrated profiles and rename them to the names of the ATI profiles, you can always put back the ATI ones if it doesn't work. If you are running XP the profiles are stored at windows\system32\spool\drivers\color\.

9. greed

greed Thread Starter

sounds like a good idea, only problem is I have no idea which of the profiles ATI is defaulting too. none have ati or anything in their names.

another thing i notices, on the xp color profile manager, both my monitors are listed twice... have no idea why

at any rate, I've worked out the way of putting the profiles back to the correct ones on the manager by setting it to something else and then back the to correct one and it magically changes for some reason

10. greed

greed Thread Starter

ok get this, it was all set up correctly, i turned the monitors off for an hour (not the computer) came back to it, turned the monitors off and got out of screensaver and its got pink on both monitors AGAIN! I'm sick of this, I might just get my money back.

11. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Hi, I think you will find that it is not a problem with your calibration device but a problem with your ATI drivers and XP. Do you have another video card to try. Mine works perfectly with my Nvidia card. Are there later ATI drivers or is there an ATI support form where you can ask?

12. greed

greed Thread Starter

i have the latest drivers.... basically ever time i turn my primary monitor off the profiles change to the pink one. if i set the secondary as primary the profiles go back to normal and if i set the primary again it all is fixed. but i have to do this every time lol.

I doubt ATI customer support will help i've been down that road before with problems and they are useless. I know more about my gc than them and they supposedly built it.

13. greed

greed Thread Starter

ok i just booted vista 64 for first time since calibration. (it was pink of course)

went to colour manager and set both the default and system default colour schemes for the two monitors and the system to the calibrated one from XP. Restarted computer and tadaa! working perfectly. opened ATI up too and the profile didn't change. its clearly XP resetting to a default somehow. I need to know how to change that. I also noticed on catalyst the colour menu gave me the option to restore ATI colour controls indicating vista has disabled them unlike in XP.

14. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Possibly this will help

Go to

Display properties
    Settings
    Advanced
    Color Management
    Delete all the profiles other than your calibrated ones or select the calibrated profile as the default.

Let us know

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/764501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice