1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor problem or Videocard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yeplo, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yeplo

yeplo Thread Starter

First let me tell you the basics:
    I've got 3-4 year old lcd 17" monitor from envision and a fairly new (couple of months) geforce 7600gt videocard.

Just yesterdaym I noticed the right side of my monitor was blurry (about a fourth of the right side). As I moved my aim buddy list fromt he right side to the left you could tell about the blurryness. So, I unpluggedmy monitor from my tower and plugged it into this laptop's vga plug. No visible problems, but the resolution is smaller (1024 x 768 vs 1280 x 1024).

I then unplugged the monitor again and plugged it back into my tower. Still blurry. I am now afraid that this is a problem on behalf of my videocard. I switch the resolution to 1024 x 768. Wait a minute... it's clear again. So I switch back to 1280x1024. It is now clear on the right side. I stare in disbelief, scratching my head, and praying it's not my videocard's problem.

What does everyone think? Videocard or Monitor?

2. riddlebox

riddlebox

check and make sure the videocard is snaped into its slot all the way until it clicks.

3. yeplo

yeplo Thread Starter

Uh. I don't think 1.) it would work if it weren't in all the way and 2.) that I would make the mistake of not plugging my 200 dollar video card in all the way.

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

The vid card will put out what resolution you set but can your older monitor take it? Also what refresh rate is that lcd set on?

5. yeplo

yeplo Thread Starter

I'm not sure about the refresh rate on my monitor. It was purchased for me. And yes, my monitor was able to take 1280x1024 for several years. I believe that was it's maximum.

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Go to control panel,display,settings,advanced,monitor and check as it should be set to 60 for the refresh rate.

7. yeplo

yeplo Thread Starter

I will try that once I get home. Although I'm unsure as to why this would all of a sudden effect my computer screen. (you're probably right though).

Also, if this works, it would be because my monitor doesn't support anything over 60 right?

8. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Most lcd's support 60 the best as a rule.

9. yeplo

yeplo Thread Starter

I see. I was un aware.

I am kind of hoping this is a monitor problem. Then I could at least have an excuse to get a new one (20 widescreen :) ).

10. pugmug

pugmug Banned

If you check and it is set to 60 now then just keep running that monitor until it dies. You could also go to nvidia website and try downloading newer drivers for your vid card if need be.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice