1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Problem with Dell Laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krazeecrw, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krazeecrw

krazeecrw Thread Starter

Hi all-

I have several users using Dell laptops (2 D820 and 1 D810). They normally use the laptop on the docking station and everything is fine. If they are undocked, the monitor of the laptop screen does not go to full size. You see about an inch dark border around the screen as opposed the screen being fully stretched out. This happens whenever the computer is not docked. Is there a setting that I need to look at to correct this?

2. JDonner

JDonner Guest

If that's the case that you've bought Dell laptops in bulk, why not contact Dell, I assume you have some contract with them whith such quantities.

3. krazeecrw

krazeecrw Thread Starter

That is going to be my next step. I just wanted to see if there were any tricks I might be missing

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

I would try changing the screen resoulution. Its probably set on the laptop to make the external screen look good. Right click on the desktop and go to properties.

5. DellCA

DellCA Account Closed

krazeecrw:

I’m at Dell Headquarters in Austin, Texas and I just came across this thread. The first things I would try will only take a couple of minutes.

1. In the bios, under the "Video" heading there is an option for "LCD Panel Expansion". Set this to "Enabled" if it is not already.

2. Boot the laptop up with it undocked and delete all the hardware profiles in there except for the default "undocked" one that you're using- which it won't allow you to delete for that reason. Then set the screen to the proper resolution and reboot.

Post back with results or if you have any other questions.

Neil
    Dell, Inc.
    [email protected]

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/558456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice